I need a way to filter an icon conditional format by more than just its field value

jim fuller shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

I'm creating an info graphic with 4 sections placed in various areas of the graphic. Each section of the graphic represents a product that a manufacturer sells. Each section has a percentage of plan value that the product sale has achieved. In each area of the graphic that represents one product, I'd like to show an up or down arrow, which represents the percentage direction of sales (up, down or sideways) against plan.

The problem I'm having is that a icon condition widget allows me to select a value field that represents the aggregate of the data set, and not the individual product (the data is a financial summary of 4 products), which is filtered using a Set Analysis to produce a KPI chart. I need a way to either base the conditional widget on the KPI chart, or a more flexible way to filter a conditional widget.

Hope I've been able to explain this reasonably.

If you have a creative solution to this use case, please let me know.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Jim,

I suspect that maybe I am misunderstanding the scenario because it doesn't sound so difficult to me - at the moment there is only 1 available metric for the arrow icon to use, and that particular measure is a conglomerate of 4 separate metrics. So it seems to me that you must introduce a new dimension into the report like "product" or something, or maybe there already exists some dimension that could be used as such but isn't immediately obvious?

Have you fully examined all available columns in the data warehouse? Perhaps there is an appropriate column at the database level that wasn't initially added to the Yellowfin view and should be done so now.

regards,

David

photo

The condition is at the field (colum) level, which is an aggregate of the entire field. What I need is a way to filter on that field to a specific row, much like I can do with Set Analysis with charts. I'll give it a shot with this picture...

/GAoRAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

photo

Hi Jim,

thanks for the picture, I think I've got it now.

Are you sort of saying that the following KPI report has the separate arrow icons when it is placed in the non-KPI section of the KPI tab as follows:

/B36GfdksDCDPAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

However, when it is placed in the KPI section of the KPI tab then it only works from the aggregation rather than the categories:

If that's the case, then the only way around it I can see is to create separate reports for each product.

Please let me know what you think of this.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Jim,

I've been recently reassigned to this ticket as David has left the company; wanted to see if you were still having issues here?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Jim,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this as Answered due to lack of activity. Feel welcome to reply here with further inquiries.

Best Regards,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file