How to use same reports and dashboard but with data from another database?

Edgardo J Perez Rios shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I want to use the same reports and dashboards created from a data source but with other data that has exactly the same database schema and that they can be used simultaneously(meaning that one doesn't fully overwrite the other and gets deleted). They contain the same fields but with different data and since I'm new using yellowfin can't seem to understand how to make that possible.

Thanks in advanced,

Edgardo J Perez Rios

Replies (4)

photo

HI Edgardo,

It sounds like you are trying to use a single report, but dynamically switch between different datasources. Is this what you are trying to do? If so, then this is not possible. If you are trying to simply use the same reports and dashboards on the same yellowfin instance, then you could export them and then re-import them again, but modify the Datasource on the import.

We have a wiki link which explains this process here. This also applies if moving the reports or dashboards to a different yellowfin install. Please take a look at the Wiki and see if this helps achieve what are looking to do. Also below is a screen shot of what the settings options to configure during the import.

03b15455b367d986c27eff4e9990ad61During the import you can either Add or Overwrite, which I beleive will cover what you are looking to do, however you will have 2 copies of the same report etc, but using different datasources. I would suggest playing around with this first on a Dev environment to make sure the process of exporting and importing makes sense.

Let me know if you need anything else and whether or not this is what you are looking to do.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the fast response but just to be sure, let me clarify my question.

We provide IT services to different customers.

All our customers have the same database structure.

Their databases reside on their own servers.

We are establishing a set of standard reports and dashboards that we can show to these potential customers.

The views created for these reports have the same schema.

In order to demo these reports and dashboards we need to connect:

1.Create the reports and dashboard with standard definitions

2.Connect to a customer database

3.Do the demo

4.Disconnect from that database

5.Connect to another customer’s database without having to re-do the reports and dashboards.

Eventually we aim to create the reports and dashboard using the database definition we have on our office

And deploy it to the customers.

Can you provide assistance on how to accomplish this?

photo
photo

Hi Edgardo,

I believe I understand what you are trying to achieve. So you have customers databases which are the same (Same type, schemas, tables, columns) etc and you want to be able to create reports and dashboards, which you can use on any of these, by simply changing the connection details?

Is so, then this is possible by simply changing the Datasource details (As long as the info is the same as above). I have attached a quick video, showing you how I have done this where I have a report using a specific view / datasource for which I then go into the datasource and point it to another database (in this case just the name, but you could change the Hostname, port etc), save the datasource and then reload the report and the information has changed.

Obviously this is not something you would do in a production environment where you just change details on the fly, but for the purposes of what you are trying to achieve I believe this would work well.

Please let me know if this would achieve what you would need to do?

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Edgardo,

Hope you're having a good week.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

I followed your video and it worked perfectly, I believe that's all I needed for now

Thanks,

Edgardo

photo
photo

Hi Edgardo,

That sounds great and glad it has worked for you the way you wanted it to.

I will close this question off for now, but as always, if you need anything else, please keep in touch.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file