Use Section as Filter

Chad Miller shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

I was playing with sections and was wondering if I can use a tabbed section report as a filter on a dashboard. Say I have 4 charts on a dashboard and 1 with tabbed sections of grocery and electronics. Can i used those tabs as filters to my other sales and costs reports?

Second thought:

For an idea maybe it wouldn't have to be adding this function to sections maybe it would be being able to have more control over where filters are located and their formatting.

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Chad,

Sorry for the delay here. Unfortunately it is not possible to link directly off of tabbed sections but if you are interested I can convert this question into an idea?

As far as a work around, I think the best way to do this will be to create a "header" report that contains a drill down (or other feature that you can currently link through) in some regard on this field. If you set the field up in a hierarchy with a copy of itself you could do something like the example below:

Pre-drill:

e665581cca5d1ee33c5e8fb427f94955

Post-drill

5dd2774d22a98503fa73c551a21ce411

Though at this point the solution might be uglier than just using filters on this field!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Yeah we can convert to a idea. I actually do like the work around too but like you said it may be better to just stick with the filters I'm currently using. I was just going through the YF University and came across sections portion and was seeing how I could use them as I thought it was a great idea I hadn't explored yet. I also like the style of the tabs better than the filters. So as for an idea maybe it wouldn't have to be adding this function to sections maybe it would be being able to have more control over where filters are located and their formatting.

photo

Hi Chad,

Just from what we have done in the past, I am thinking that the sections functionality you described initially is more likely, and would open up some pretty cool dashboard possibilities, but I have included your most recent note in the initial post as well.

Once the product team has had a chance to review this, we will get a better idea of whether or not something along these lines can be done.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Chad,

I just wanted to let you know that I heard back on this one and, unfortunately, it sounds like this is not something that we will be able to implement in the near future. This is primarily because tabbed sections are a post-processing effect, while the other dashboard linking mechanisms such as drill down and filters are defined in the reports initial SQL statement and therefor are able to be easily included in subsequent report's SQL.

Additionally, if you are interested in pursing the "more filter display options" I would suggest creating this as a new idea.

Hope this makes sense, and sorry for the bad news! I'm going to switch this to "Not Planned" for now, but please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Nathan,

Is all sectioning a post processing task or just the tabbed sectioning?

Thanks

Scott

photo

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delay here. All sectioning is done in postprocessing.

If the sectioned field does not exist in the report it will be added to the "group by" clause of the SQL statement. The result set will be split into sections after the query has been run.

Nathan

photo

If I understand correctly, all "Analysis Style option" in the Data tab of a report are not working in combination with sections. In that case it might be wise to "gray out" or 'message something', if that is the case. I have spend some time trying to get this to work as the option are there. Overall in YF, an option is not available when it is not allowed or possible.

Regards,

Jeroen

photo

Sorry, it is working correctly. Wrong setting (missing one prompt from 16)

photo

All good JeRoen!

Please let me know if further clarification or assistance was needed.

Regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file