Do you support NoSQL database for Yellowfin

Mansi Sharma shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi team,

I have a question, do you support NoSQL DB for Yellowfin?

How do you support huge data bases and scalability of Yellowfin DB.

If Multi-Tenancy is enabled, there shall be 100 client organizations and each will have separate set of reports. In this case Yellowfin DB will increase exponentially. What are the provisions to support such cases?

Thanks,

Mansi Sharma

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Mansi,

We do support connections to NoSQL sources. We can connect to a number of different sources such as MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra, HBase, RavenDB and more.

As Yellowfin works firstly on an SQL or MDX base and is a Java application, we can connect to these sources through ODBC or JDBC connectors. There are a range of connectors that are both natively installed in Yellowfin and also open-source or third-party connectors that can be added into Yellowfin via Plugin Management.

The Client Organisations functionality allows for the support of and management of multiple tenants within a single instance.

It allows for content to be created that can be shared/re-used for a number of tenants but also allows (as in this case) to have custom content for each tenant.

How the yellowfin configuration database grows in a multi-tenant environment (or even in a single tenant environment) will depend on usage and development patterns.

There are a number of processes that can be put in place to ensure that the database does not became overly large. These could include:

Management of content and draft reports such as setting AdHoc report access or using the Yellowfin audit content to monitor numbers of used reports and identify unused ones that can be cleaned up or removed.

•Clean up processes on the event tables can be set and managed to ensure that only a certain level of historical event records are kept.

•Clean up scripts for the database are available to allow for older or unused records to be removed from the database.

•Best practice for report creation and management can also be provided by Yellowfin to help with the running and management of a multi-tenant environment.

•In this case, it is best to discuss this with Yellowfin to plan and manage for any cases where the database might be larger than normal.

Hopefully this provides the information you need. Please let me know if you need anything else?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your reply and its really helpfull.

I would rephrase my first question though - Can we have Yellowfin Db in NoSQL db instead of SQL Server or Oracle DB?

We have a requirement where we really want to scale our Yellowfin DB and if Yellowfin DB can be a NoSQL db, this will help us in measuring and scalling the YF DB Size.

Thanks,

Mansi Sharma.

photo

Hi Mansi,

Good question. The NoSQL options are only for the data source connections.

For the config DB you can use standard SQL servers such as SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, DB2 etc. Please let me know if that makes sense.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Mansi,

Just checking in again on this ticket to see if you need anything else?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Mansi,

Just letting you know, that I am going to close off this ticket as I have not heard back from you for some time. If you need anything else with this, please get back in touch.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file