Decouple the hiding options for Browse Page-Dashboard

Nick Hudson shared this idea 7 years ago
Not Planned

It would be handy for us if the Display flags that show when saving reports (Browse Page and Dashboard) were completely independent. This would allow us to hide reports from the Browse Page that we wanted to appear on a dashboard tab.

Best Answer
photo

Hi Nick,

When a report is hidden from the browse page, it can still be found by clicking 'advanced' and then checking the 'hidden' switch.

dae1ee6cf93ad43797d738ab6d298a92

b7e2fc39c9239e8221226d374c513987

The reason for this is that the search report option relies on the same components as the browse page.

This is used across the board with dashboards, storyboards, reports, discussions etc..

The only exception is the ability to stop people from adding reports to a dashboard, where you will never be able to find when searching on the dashboard.

Please let me know if you still are unable to find the report after checking the 'hidden' option.

Thanks,

David

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Nick,

Thanks for getting in touch and sending this idea in!

This request will be reviewed by members of the product team to determine whether or not it fits into our current product roadmap and development pipeline. Keep an eye on the status of this, as it should be reviewed and marked soon!

Thanks,

-Conner

photo

Hi Nick,

We've been discussing this with the product team, and we're not exactly sure what it is you're after.

You can hide a report from the browse page, which will then only allow you to search for it when flagging 'hidden' when searching. This also applies for the dashboard.

Can you please give me a little more info as to what it is that you're after.

Sorry if I'm missing something.

photo

Hi David,

When a report is hidden, it cannot be added to a dashboard. I'd like if that wasn't the case - simple as that.

Thanks

photo

Hi Nick,

When a report is hidden from the browse page, it can still be found by clicking 'advanced' and then checking the 'hidden' switch.

dae1ee6cf93ad43797d738ab6d298a92

b7e2fc39c9239e8221226d374c513987

The reason for this is that the search report option relies on the same components as the browse page.

This is used across the board with dashboards, storyboards, reports, discussions etc..

The only exception is the ability to stop people from adding reports to a dashboard, where you will never be able to find when searching on the dashboard.

Please let me know if you still are unable to find the report after checking the 'hidden' option.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi Nick,

Did this all make sense?

I would like to switch this topic to a 'question' as I don't believe it's a valid enhancement at this point in time.

Sorry for any confusion caused, or if I have missed anything.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Apologies for the delay, but I've done some testing on this (7.1) over the past few days.

I have found that as you described, if the report is initially set with Browse Page to On, and Dashboard to On, that you can turn Browse Page off and still add it to the dashboard by searching for hidden reports.

Any subsequent edit and save of the report will override those settings, with Browse Page Off and Dashboard Off. The Dashboard option is not shown, but the process of editing the report removes it from any dashboard it has already been added to. It can still be added back to that dashboard, but means that every time the report is changed, it needs to be added again.

If while editing the report, you switch the Browse Page option back to On, it will override the previous Dashboard setting to say it is not enabled.

Even when the Browse Page is set to No, and the report has been successfully added to a dashboard, the details that show in the browse page for the report state that it is not Dashboard Enabled, even when it can be added to a dashboard when using the hidden setting.

Does this make the reason for the initial request more clear?

Regards,

Nick

Leave a Comment

Attach a file