Reset Password for Bulk users

Mala shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hi Team,

I want to reset password for list of users belonging to different client org without doing it manually one by one.

Is there any option i can reset all users password at once ?

Thanks,

Mala

Replies (9)

photo

Hi Mala,

The answer to this question depends on what your final intentions are here. If your intention is to simply expire the passwords, and prompt them to set another password then we can adjust the "PasswordExpired" column in the configuration database for your entire client organization (with a couple simple joins this should be an easy process, if you are interested let me know and I can elaborate).

If your goal is to completely reset the passwords to something standard such as "test", then a web-service script will be your best bet. In the youryfinstall/development/examples folder, there is a file called "ResetAdmin,.jsp" that resets the admin account's password. With a few adjustments, you should be able to loop through an entire organization and apply this. (Again let me know if you would like more detail on this route)

If you have a very large user base (to the point where changing passwords manually is painful) I would highly recommend using a bulk user management method such as LDAP or CSV import, in which case you could update their passwords within the directory, or remove/reimport new users.

Please let me know your thought on this.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for those suggestions.But i would require to understand them in detail.

Our current application of YF is single sign on integrated and there is some performance or latency issue making the application slower.We are trying to create a bypass URL which is much faster than the SSO integrated.

The challenge is that all the users use SSO logins and if we provide the bypass URL for few among them, we need to reset the YF password for all the users.

The first step which your suggesting looks will suit the requirement, but will it send out an email to all user prompting "password expired "? or is there is way i can choose those set of users ? do they require to remember thier original password to reset ?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Mala

photo

Hi Mala,

For my first suggestion, it would not send out an email, and it would require the users to remember their previous password.

You would simply go into the database and write a query to change the column below.

12b6da18bf7edeacae326d3009e409d5

Can you elaborate a bit on what you would like the result to be from the user"s end? Additionally, why is a password reset required here?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

As i mentioned earlier, the current users are logging in through SSO which has a different password. If we are bypassing the SSO and use YF authentication this would require the users to remember the password when user was registered in Yellowfin. The problem is users will not know their YF password as they were only using SSO and with bypass URL , they would require to remember the Yellowfin password to log in.

We need some way where we can reset the password for all users and get them new password to log in.

Regards,

Mala

photo

Hi Mala,

Thank you for the clarification. I think that the best solution here will be to modify the ResetAdmin.jsp, to loop through a list of users, and assign them new passwords. This file can be found in youryellowfin/development/examples.

The key call here is: MiAdminProcess.resetUserPassword

Something like this pseudo-code should get you going in the right direction:

1. for (String userid : userlist){
  2. pw1='test';
  3. DBAction db = null;
  4. db = new DBAction();
  5. IpClassManager icm = new IpClassManager();
  6. IpClassBean icb = icm.findIpClass(db, userid, true);
  7. MIAdminProcess.resetUserPassword(db, icb, pw1);
  8. db.commit();
  9. }

Please let me know if you have any questions on this!

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the information, have a query related to forgot password option.

http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER72/Configuration

We were reviewing the above wiki url found that there is an option as "Show Forgot Password Link" on login page under admin console-> configurations->Authentication-> Password settings. Enabled the same, but could not fine the link in the login page. Can you please help us how this feature works.

Thanks

Shashi

photo

Hi Mala,

In my tests, simply clicking the button has made the link appear. Are you using a custom header?

Additionally, in later versions it notes that email notifications need to be enabled for this setting to work.

c6518b822789632abe7032e6910371ee

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Mala,

Have you had any luck in resolving this?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Mala,

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi, We have upgraded a few times and are currently on version 7.1. I cannot find a copy of these development examples, where can I download them for version 7.1? We need to update the admin user password, can this be done via SQL also?

Thanks

photo

Hi Phillip,

Usually the development examples can be found under a folder called development at the top level of Yellowfin's installation directory (it sits alongside the appserver directory).

If it is missing, download and install a 7.1 build into a temporary directory and copy the development folder out. When prompted for a database during the install just use the inbuilt HSQLDB database.

You can update a password via SQL but I would try the other approach first.

Good luck!

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file