Yellowfin versions (major, minor, patches) and builds

Nick shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi,

Besides current online articles, can you please explain what are the major differences between major/minor releases, patches and builds?

This is what I was able to find out so far:

- Major releases have changes in the db schema (Eg. 7.3 > 8)

- Upgrade path is normally from current version > latest current version > major release

- Patches are only made available to current, and last 2 versions

- Patches are entire replacement of the codebase while the only requirement being they need to be compatible with the database

Specifically, what I wanted to know is:

- Are patches just another word for the build number?

- Are patches cumulative? Meaning latest patches have previous patches

- Are patches from previous versions included in later versions, minor and major?

- Is it possible to have 7.3 with a build version that is more recent than 7.35? If so, how?

Thanks

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. Typically major releases will contain new features over prior versions, whereas minor releases contain bug fixes and enhancements to existing features. Here are some answers to your questions (in-line).

- Are patches just another word for the build number? Each patch will increment the build number, which is reflective of the release date of the patch.

- Are patches cumulative? Meaning latest patches have previous patches Yes, patches of a higher build date will contain all previous fixes from earlier patches.

- Are patches from previous versions included in later versions, minor and major? This is dependent on a variety of factors. Not all fixes in minor versions are relevant to other versions, although this is the exception and not the standard.

- Is it possible to have 7.3 with a build version that is more recent than 7.35? If so, how? We maintain a separate branch for BMC, which is of the 7.3 version. In a case such as this, the build number for a 7.3 version may be more current than 7.35. This specially maintained branch is not publicly available.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Thanks Ryan. That helps.

photo

Hi Nick,

Happy to help! I'll go ahead and mark this as answered. Please don't hesitate to reach out with further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file