how to Combine sub-reports columns into a master report?

virgilio shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

I have to build a Report to show the monthly Compliance of Service Level Agreements using the raw data.

I need your suggestions about how to combine the partial values obtained by multiple sub-reports into a single compliance Value for each Agreement (if possible).

To evaluate the Monthly Compliance I should combine the values from 3 tables.

Records of one of those table do not have a column that may be used as join key, so this table cannot be included into a Data View with the rest of tables.

Considering Yellowfin BI features and approach:

1) Is it possible to create a calculated field combining the values of multiple sub-reports columns?

Simplifying, we basically need to calculate the compliance as pondered combination of partial values obtained by multiple reports:

Compliance % = Report 1 x related weight + Report 2 x Related weight + Report 3 x Related weight

2) Is it possible to create a Master report fed by other sub-reports?

I mean: is it possible to use a child column value into a Master report, or sub-reports can be only combined to create a Master Report (eg. As detailed report or drill-down report)

3) Is it possible to include a stand-alone table into a Data View?

4) can you confirm this sentence: all data required to build calculated field must be retrieved by a single query?

Any suggestion will be really appreciated!

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Virgilio,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. I'm happy to offer some high level suggestions as to how you may be able to accomplish this, however it's important to note that content creation isn't explicitly covered under the Yellowfin Support Contract.

I'll address your numbered questions with the assumption that "sub-report" indicates separate reports that you hope to reference in your final report.

Answers to your questions are as follows:

1) No. Calculated fields can only reference columns that exist within your report.

2) No, you cannot reference other existing reports into a new report.

3) No, you must join your tables within a View. Standalone tables cannot exist within a View with other tables.

4) Yes, any field referenced must be part of your Report query.

This all being said, you will have to find a way to join your data together either in a View or by Advanced Sub Queries in order to reference the required fields for calculation.

While I'm not an expert in report creation or data structures, you can definitely return data from unrelated tables using a Full Outer Join in an Advanced Sub Query:

Whether this will have unexpected results on your calculations will be dependent on your data set. Also keep in mind my screenshot is from our current supported versions of 7.3 and higher, so what you see in 7.1 may differ. Unfortunately 7.1 isn't currently supported, so I don't have an instance offhand to provide screenshots for.

Give this a go and let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Virgilio,

I wanted to check in and see if you've had a chance to review my response.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Virgilio,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this as Answered. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file