Ability to export dashboard to PDF

Daniel Boekhoff shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

Our customers need to see a Dashboard as is. What they see in the Browser while logged into Yellowfin should be shown in a PDF, as well. Same for exporting Reports.

We experimented here with some external technology, to get it done on our own. With Chrome headless you start chrome as an instance accessing it via an API. You log in to Yellowfin, screenshot the Dashboard and get the image or pdf as a stream back over the API. This could be used afterwards to send this to the user via email or make it downloadable in Yellowfin.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards,

Daniel

Best Answer
photo

UPDATE

With the release of 9.3 we now have the option to export Dashboards to PDF;

e8f6dee50d1f85daae26156c1574ae75

With this and for additional 9.3 functions please see our wiki.

Regards,

Mark

Replies (6)

photo

Our customers need to see a Dashboard as is. What they see in the Browser while logged into Yellowfin should be shown in a PDF, as well. Same for exporting Reports.

We experimented here with some external technology, to get it done on our own. With Chrome headless you start chrome as an instance accessing it via an API. You log in to Yellowfin, screenshot the Dashboard and get the image or pdf as a stream back over the API. This could be used afterwards to send this to the user via email or make it downloadable in Yellowfin.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards,

Daniel

photo

Hi Daniel,

I am going to convert this into an idea for review.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Daniel,

Can you provide a screen-shot of what this would look like?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your feedback and detailed info.

I have both good and bad news.

The good news is we are revamping dashboards in 8.0, which will be more in line with a multi-chart canvas, so you can create your own layouts, and also export to PDF.

The bad news is that, it's still quite a while away, as it's going to be closer to mid-2018.

I know this seems like a long way to wait, but I know it has been planned for quite some time, as it won't just be dashboards that use this layout, but the storyboards also.

Until then, there is nothing we can do YF code wise to get this into a PDF for you. I know a few clients have used a 3rd party 'OnePage' to create their PDF exports, though I believe there were also some limitations. I'm happy to grab their info and pass it on if you like?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

We have customers as well who need this feature implemented. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any workarounds for the use of 3rd party tools at this point, hence just letting you know that we'd be highly interested in this Enhancement to be implemented for earlier versions of Yellowfin.

Regards

photo

HI Bjorn,

Yup I hear you. I can guarantee this will be addressed in a future release..something tells me it's going to be 2018 ;)

Any updates will be posted, though until then please let me know if there was anything else you were after.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Any update on this issue please?

Regards,

Aruna

photo

Hi Aruna,

Good news is that we're planning on addressing this near year with our next major release :).

While I cannot provide an ETA, I can say that there will be quite a few changes, and lots of users will be happy!

As usual we will update this idea once we know more, though please let us know if there was anything else you were after in the meantime.

Regards,

David

photo

That is great news and actually very topical. We have lots of clients using our reporting solution (Yellowfin embedded) that see this as a blocker for not providing. It will change the conversation with a lot of prospects and we'll see a greater uptake of our offering (based on Yellowfin) with PDF export.

photo

Hi Bjorn,

Yup I hear a lot of the "I want dashboards to be more flexible and also export to PDF". Next year we should be making everyone happy :)

photo

Hi David,

Any update on this issue please?

Regards,

Aruna

photo

Hi Aruna,

Well, there are plans in the works of the dashboard revamp, which is scheduled for later this year.

This will include the ability to export entire dashboards to PDF.

Once we have some actual updates and release to link to, I'll update this idea.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thank you for the update.

Could you please help us to confirm the specific release time ?

Any ETA.

Regards,

Aruna

photo

Hi Aruna,

Don't have a firm date as yet, though it's going to be towards the last quarter.

We will update this post once there is new info.

Thanks,

David

photo

HI David, do you have an update on when this will be release?

I was also wondering if this will include the exports of stories and present?

Many thanks,

Deannah

photo

Hi Deannah,

I hope all is well,

Looking in to this further I can confirm that we are very close with releasing this option in to our next version release of 9.3, however confirming the date of this I can't give as of yet. With this and to my understanding we will be allowing users to Broadcast a dashboard as well.

With regards to exporting Story to PDF, please see our enhancement here. As you can see this has since been logged as an enhancement, however no movements on this as of yet.

Let me know if you need any further assistance with this.

Regards,

Mark

photo
photo

UPDATE

With the release of 9.3 we now have the option to export Dashboards to PDF;

e8f6dee50d1f85daae26156c1574ae75

With this and for additional 9.3 functions please see our wiki.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file