Pass parameter to related report

Ingo Klose shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hello,

we have two reports that both use the same parameter. Now we would like to connect them via the related report feature.

We are able to connect the filters, but it seems that there is no option to pass the parameter values on. Is that right? Will that change in the future?

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Ingo,

Typically it is possible to link a parameter between related reports within the report builder, but this has to be done via parameter to parameter, rather than parameter to filter. You may also have luck creating a calculated field that simply returns the parameter and passing this field's values. However, anything past this is not possible.

Can you remind me what version you are currently on?

There have been several enhancements to pass parameters at various levels of YF for several years, with little action taken on them (my guess is that this is primarily because normal filters can usually accomplish the same thing with higher flexibility).

If you want to elaborate on your use case here, I may be able to provide some relevant suggestions.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

basically we use the parameter in the filter as a workaround to have a dynamic report on day, week or month level. This is achieved with a calculated field that uses a case statement to decide to which column in our filtered day date dimension column is applied to. The parameter is dropped in the filter section for the user to decide.

Now we need to pass on all the filter values as well as the parameter value on the related report.

Best regards,

Ingo

Von: Yellowfin Support [mailto:support@yellowfin.bi]

Gesendet: Montag, 3. April 2017 16:30

An: Ingo Klose

Betreff: New Comment in "Pass parameter to related report"

photo

Hi Ingo,

So, after a little research I was able to determine that this feature was added in version 7.3. Passing values through drill-through related reports was included in the initial releases, while the ability to link co-display was added in the February EOM build.

I noticed that you were testing 7.3 in the past, have you officially migrated your instance yet?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for the answer. No, we were not be able to upgrade to 7.3 since we still have some defects open.

Best regards,

Ingo

Von: Yellowfin Support [mailto:support@yellowfin.bi]

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 5. April 2017 22:50

photo

Hi Ingo,

No problem. I am going to close this for now, but if you have any other questions, just let me know and the case will be re-opened.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Ok, Thanks.

Von meinem Smartphone gesendet. 

Sent from my mobile device. 

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------

Von: Yellowfin Support

Datum: 06.04.17 18:21 (GMT+01:00)

photo

After some testing I have found that ever since the parameter is required to have a default value set in the view, the parameter will always default to that. I have changed many settings and yet this feature is not properly working. I've tried creating a calc field and using that to field in the report to pass the parameter value. I've also just plainly sent the parameter value from the filter section. One observation I made is that the parameter in the related report defaults to the report's default value if one is set. If a default value is not set then it will default to view's default value which is mandatory.

Value from main report

1f6367c96051a13c3f8cb67d895e3c49

Values from related report after drill through link was clicked

245d470556f5dd0d0178c561094ef3ac

photo

Hi Larry,

I have created another ticket for this, and will respond here:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/ticket/8825

Regards,

Nathan

photo
Leave a Comment