How to create Time dimension?

Mohammad Rehman shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Please accept my apology in advance, if this was already answered. I tried to search the KB but could not comes across except this article http://community.yellowfin.bi/knowledge-base/article/how-do-you-create-a-time-based-distribution-using-time-dimensions

We are using BMC Smart Reporting ( Which is YellowFin BI ), it does not include Date and Time dimension OOTB. I am wondering if some one can help to provide guidance to add them for better reporting.

Current requirement is to generate report and add filter on resolve date (in db its stored unix date in view it displays the timestamp format) between 09:00 AND 17:00.

Thanks

Mohammad

Best Answer
photo

HI Mohammad,

No worries! After a bit of research I have learned that BMC has removed a few components in the time management functionality. I am not entirely sure on the process that BMC employs to add data and tables into a database, but your best bet will be to include your own date field saved specifically as a "date" data type. Once the data is stored in this format, it will be automatically recognized by Yellowfin, and the full filtering and time-series functionality will become available.

Unfortunately, as most of this answer revolves around how BMC handles Yellowfin rather than core YF functionality, I think your best luck at a specific answer here will be to contact BMC support.

Sorry I could not be of more help, please let me know if there is anything else I can do!

Regards,

Nathan

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Mohammad,

This seems like something that would benifit from a quick in person meeting. Do you have a few minutes to screen-share at any point today? If so, please let me know what time works best for you. I am on United States Mountain Time.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

I highly appreciate your response and time for help. Unfortunately i am working on a federal assignment and can't share screen. I have lot more limitation as well.

Thanks

Mohammad

photo

HI Mohammad,

No worries! After a bit of research I have learned that BMC has removed a few components in the time management functionality. I am not entirely sure on the process that BMC employs to add data and tables into a database, but your best bet will be to include your own date field saved specifically as a "date" data type. Once the data is stored in this format, it will be automatically recognized by Yellowfin, and the full filtering and time-series functionality will become available.

Unfortunately, as most of this answer revolves around how BMC handles Yellowfin rather than core YF functionality, I think your best luck at a specific answer here will be to contact BMC support.

Sorry I could not be of more help, please let me know if there is anything else I can do!

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Its been great help and I always appreciate YellowFin experts for their promptly responses and efforts to work with the users to resolve their issues.

You guys are awesome and setting example for the others. You may close the thread.

Regards,

Mohammad

photo

Thanks for the awesome review Mohammad! I have shared this with the rest of the team.

I have set this to closed, but if you run into any troubles with this, just reply and the case will be re-opened.

Regards,

Nathan

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file