Tomcat not starting

Ben Neesom shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Replies (7)

photo

The problem looks to be with Tomcat, not YF itself, but after some googling and community searching I’ve yet to find a start point let alone anything meaningful…. And Tomcat is not something I’m familiar with, so searching from a knowledge base of zero.

When we attempt to start YF it bombs out immediately; putting some ‘pause’ commands in the startup script appear to show it crashing out within Catalina.bat, on the first command after the script has ‘echo’d the various pathnames.

Some Background info:

• Windows 64bit HOME PC
  • Install picked up ‘32bit’ and that is what SQL Server said too!
  • Checked using WMIC OS GET OSARCHITECTURE and machine is running 64bit windows

• Clean Install of v8.0.1
  • Running against MS SQL Server 2017
  • Had problems authenticating with SQL Auth so it is running against Windows credentials
  • JRE version looked to be a recent build of the 8 family

After some pointers from Support (Paul) we verified that JRE was a 32 bit version; that's now be upped to the 64bit version; and we amended the Catalina.bat file to allocate 4Gb of RAM (machine has 16Gb)

After all of that we are still (I suspect) getting a failure in starting Tomcat. Unfortunately my knowledge of Tomcat is not sufficient to help trouble shoot....

Should add... Tomcat didn't appear to write a logfile which suggest there may be a permission issue (in creating the file) or it's not finding something.

photo

Hi Jason,

Thanks for reaching out with the issue you're facing. Please open a command prompt at <YellowfinInstall>/appserver/bin and execute the startup.bat file manually. This will open a tomcat console, which will likely close as you've been experiencing, but should provide some additional output in your original command prompt as to what's happening here. Please add that information here for review.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ben,

I wanted to reach out and offer a remote session to resolve the issue you're facing. I'm located in the North American office, so my times of availability range from 0800 - 1700 US MDT. If these times do not work with your schedule, please let me know your availability including time zone and I can reach out to another region.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hello, I’m free now for the next 2 hours, would anytime fit? Thanks for your help, Ben.

Sent: 13 March 2019 15:19

To: Ben Neesom <ben.neesom@sereviso.com>

Subject: Re: Tomcat not starting [#12807]

photo

Hi Ben,

Sure thing! You can use the following link to join the meeting:

https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1491165835

photo

Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to screen share with me today. As a quick summary of how we resolved this issue: we first had to identify the error at hand, which wasn't being logged anywhere. To overcome this, we opened a command prompt in the <YellowfinInstall>/appserver/bin folder and issued the following command:

catalina.bat run

This revealed that we were allocating 4GB of RAM to a 32-bit Java.

After updating the JAVA_HOME in the <YellowfinInstall>/appserver/bin/catalina.bat file, Yellowfin was able to start successfully.

We then updated your existing Yellowfin Windows service:

tomcat8w.exe//ES//Yellowfin

to point to this new path.

I'll mark this as answered since we were able to get you up and running, but please don't hesitate to let me know if you have further issues.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Great stuff thanks Ryan. Added the 'JAVA_HOME' bit to my 'trouble shooting' crib sheet.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file