Ability to set monitoring on Datasource

Durgesh Mange shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hello Guys,

I would like to know if we can monitor the Yellowfin datasource for its availability via other monitoring tools?

we are connecting to database via Action request server in datasource . PFA snap.

once datasource "connection is failed" or "marked as unavailable" then is there any way we can monitor its status via yellowfin application database or with any file present on the yellowfin application server.

For example: if data-source marked as unavailable is there any entry which is getting pushed in smart reporting database table or file on the server? so we can use third party monitoring application to monitor these values if we are able to see any changes.

we have hundreds of clients using yellowfin for reporting however once datasource is unavailable we do not have any way to monitor the same until it is reported by client. more help appreciated.

we are using versions 7.1 and above

Regards,

Durgesh

Replies (5)

photo

HI Durgesh,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question.

I couldn't decide 100% what the issue is-

A - the Yellowfin instance is losing connection to a data source

B - the Yellowfin Config DB Data Source is losing connection to others

I think you mean A. If this is the case, this functionality can be achieved by enabling Volatile data sources. These resources can help get you going -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/troubleshooting-connection-instability-for-data-source-andor-config-db

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/volatile-data-sources-what-is-it-and-when-do-i-need-it

Alternatively, If it's B you're looking for, there's a way to monitor the "heartbeat" of the Yellowfin app, see here -

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/monitor-yellowfin-heartbeat

Does this provide you with the resources you require?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the information. It is really helpful

My concern is regarding point A.

We have already enabled volatile data source and it is helpful to reestablish the connection in case of unstable connections, however in our datasource we are connecting to our action request server with using Action request user and Password. this user and password is configurable on Action request server side and end user have access to this user.

By any chance if someone modified the action request user or password or deleted the action request user from the application, then we get error message "data source connection failed"(happening very frequently).

So if we consider this scenario we need to manually reset the user or password to establish the connection again, until end user inform us that they are getting error while running the report.

So to avoid this we would like to set monitoring on datasource in case of connection failure. So is there any way using that we can check the datasource status and generate an alert in case of status change(possibly if DS status is stored in Database).

Regards

Durgesh

photo

Hi Durgesh,

Thanks for providing the followup info.

I am going to talk to he team to try to find out if there is a table in our DB that updates in this type of event. With this info you might be able to create a solution yourself within the software, which would be kind of neat!

One alternative possibility in the meantime would be to use a 3rd party log monitoring tool such a Loggly for Linux. This type of software can look for particular log outputs and provide automatic actions. You could identify the offending "Data source connection failed" type error you are receiving in the Yellowfin logs, and program an email to be sent when that particular error is logged, for example. I think the Yellowfin idea is "cleaner," but this may work in the interim, would you be interested in exploring that route?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hello Eric,

Thank you. I will try this alternative, however If you heard anything back from your team let me know. Thank you.

Regards,

Durgesh

photo

Thanks, Durgesh, my team says as of now there is no table in Yellowfin that provides this Data Source Status information. I will mark this as answered.

There is the potential of converting this to an Idea that could possibly lead to a software enhancement. Not sure how likely it is that this would be picked up, but if you were interested in pursuing this possibility, you can reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file