Customize the value of Legend in Chart

Subhadeep Sen shared this idea 5 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi Team,

We can see that we were able to change the color coding for a particular series of the stacked bar chart, but we can't do the same for line chart.

Can you please let us know if there is any way out to do that?

Regards,

Subhadeep Sen

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Subhadeep,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your issue.

I tested the functionality of custom line chart series color by creating a simple line chart with our tutorial database.

ccdfac6e74e46df230000ae3f0a9e745

In the "charts" section of my report, I clicked on the series settings tab, and clicked "populate series."

I then selected a series, and in series settings, changed Style from Default to Solid, and activated the "custom color" slider. This gave me a color palette to select from.

c3c79affc7a7d15880c99dfbb092d9c2

Changing this color setting resulted in the respective series' line color adjusting as expected.

2dc9af9517c8c507f2a77c270ee1a9ea

Is this the functionality you're looking for? Or, perhaps this is not working as expected for you?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Apologies, Just implemented the same few time back. I just came to ask you to close this case. :-)

Thank you.

Regards,

Priyanka Bera

photo

Just one More query, Is it possible to format the legend below the X axis. For example it is currently coming as line, is it possible to have this as square box one for line chart.

Thanks,

photo

Hi Subhadeep,

It is possible to change the legend formatting in a similar manner.

From the Charts section I clicked on the Legend tab up top.

In the Style section, I changed Legend Item Shape to Square.

656b4f1cfcfae2e52a69d432b222d44aThis resulted in the chart legend showing color fields as a square instead of a line.

569f28fa3bea6fc12ddffbed92edb5d9Does this help?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thank you for this. I am not sure why I couldn't see this earlier. Thanks a lot.

One more query here - Can we customize the value of this legend here. I wanted to say alternate display.

For example -

We have a line chart having series as 1,2,3. Now we are setting color based on these numbers.

Here 1 is for current year, 2 for previous year and 3 from the year before last year. Now these year might vary.

For example - this year 1 would be 2019 for next year 1 would be 2020. Here we want to display Year instead of those numbers(1,2,3) as from user perspective 1,2,3 number does not give any insights. Additionally, I can't pull the corresponding year as well then we will not be able to format the colors for those line as it will get updated next year.

Can you please let me know if there is any way out for this alternate display. If required, we can have a quick call on this if there is any doubt on what we are expecting here.

Looking forward for your kind assistance on this.

Regards,

Subhadeep Sen

photo

HI Subhadeep,

I have been trying to find a solution for you, but have not been successful... yet.

The only way I have been successful in making changes to the display of the series legend has been through changing the column name.

There is a possibility of creating a Javascript chart and creating this legend manually as a workaround, but there is not a "custom legend" option as such available through Yellowfin options.

Personally I would like to see this functionality added to the software, as I can imagine a number of scenarios that would benefit from this customization option.

Would you be interested in having me convert this ticket to an "idea" and creating a developer enhancement request, so as to possibly implement this in a future build?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

That would be great if we get this feature in next release. If possible please log this as an idea.

Regards,

Subhadeep Sen

photo

Hi Subhadeep,

Thanks for confirming that with me. I have gone ahead and converted this ticket to an Idea. I've also created a development enhancement task that this ticket has been attached to. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. Feel welcome to reply here with further inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file