Drill through on Dashboard doesn`t open the report in a new window

Yordan Yunchov shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hello,

We developing an external web application and we are integrating it with the JavaScript API.

We found inconsistency in the behavior between the embeded Dashboards and the Dashboards in YellowfinBI. The problem is that when we do drill down on Dashboard in the embeded version it opens on the same location, but in YellowfinBI it reloads the whole page and loads the report.

I`m attaching a video to demonstrate the problem.

My question is whether this is default by design or can I configure it somehow?

Best Regards,

Yordan

Best Answer
photo

Ah yes, its drill down. I'm going to look more into this to see if theres a better approach.

It may be worth raising this as an idea, so that theres a display option to open into a full page on the embedded version as it does on the YF version. if this is something you would like, please let me know and i will happily raise this on your behalf. in the meantime i'll keep looking for an alternative.

Thanks & I look forward to your response!

Best Wishes,

Lesley

Replies (6)

photo

Hey Yordan,

Hope you are well!

There are generally buttons above your report/chart that control the display interactivity with embedded report. Although there are some limitations to using javascript API.

Im going to point you in the direction of our wiki page about JS API and the display functions that are available are the functions that we currently have. Do you know if this is also occurring for other reports that are not "Drill through"?

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/USER74/JavaScript+API#JavaScriptAPI-Display

Please note the limitations are at the bottom of the wiki page provided :)

Thanks & Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hello, Lesley,

Thanks for your reply !

Well, Drill through is not in the limitations and it works in the JavaScript API, but it works differently from the main application (see the attached video in my post)

The problem is that when you drill dashboard the report is opened in very small area and it is unusable from user perspective.

Best Regards,

Yordan

photo

Hey Yordan,

Yes, i saw the video and can understand the issue :( ...how about a pop up page as a workaround?

Please click here to find out how to do that :)

Thanks,

Lesley

photo

Hi Lesley,

That`s an interesting idea, thanks for the hint !

There are 3 considerations with this approach:

• Isn`t that a security problem having the LoginWebserviceId as part of the html ?
  • How do we send the right parameters to the child report ? remember, we do drill-down operation
  • using iframes will eventually lead to poor user experience

Best Regards,

Yordan

photo
photo

Ah yes, its drill down. I'm going to look more into this to see if theres a better approach.

It may be worth raising this as an idea, so that theres a display option to open into a full page on the embedded version as it does on the YF version. if this is something you would like, please let me know and i will happily raise this on your behalf. in the meantime i'll keep looking for an alternative.

Thanks & I look forward to your response!

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hi Lesley,

Sounds great, please, do that !

This way the UX will be more consistent between the two approaches.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Best Regards,

Yordan

photo
photo

Hi Yorden,

Hope you are well today!

So i've been looking into other options other than a pop up window and theres doesn't seem to be any type of workaround.

I had a thought about if it was possible to open up into a new window rather than a within the YF, and unfortunately its not possible, as opening a report in a new tab the user session and the cookie is tied to the current tab you have open. if you were to open a new tab, it would break the session and cause unexpected behaviour within yellowfin, implementing this would require significant rework to the authentication and session mechanisms within yellowfin so i would be unable to raise that as an idea.

However, since this not the same as opening the dashboard report within the page, i can raise this as an idea. i will do so now and create a new idea ticket on your behalf. updates regarding this feature will go through the new ticket.

Once i've done that i've opened up the new one, i will go ahead and close this ticket.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hey Yordan,

I've now created the idea on your behalf, please refer to community number - 12658

I will complete this ticket, but will be sure to keep you posted via the aforementioned ticket number.

Please don't hesitate to reopen this ticket if you have any further questions regarding this.

Thanks and best wishes,

Lesley

Leave a Comment

Attach a file