Geopack - list of countries

Kalaiselvan shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi Team,

I am looking for the countries list which are available in Geopack (World countries). Could you please advice where i can find the list or provide the countries list.

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

Replies (15)

photo

Hi Kalaiselvan,

The World Countries GeoPack provides geometry for every country on Earth. It includes a metric for country population estimates as of 2005.

All data is from the World Borders Dataset, where you can find more information on as required.World Borders Dataset: http://thematicmapping.org/downloads/world_borders.php

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. Regarding the Geopack countries, i have already raised one ticket (#12344), which was saying that the Geo pack created by third party suppliers.

Response for the ticket - "I can see is that USA is just ‘United States’ in our Geopack and Curacao is still using the old name which is ‘Netherlands Antilles’ so the GeoPack is probably a little out of Date."

But when i check the link that you have provided, i can see Curaçao and United States of America. Could you please let me know extract list of countries name which are available in Yellowfin Geopack.

Also, is it possible to update Geopack by ourself?, if yes, please let us know how to do that.

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo

Hi Kalaiselvan,

The Geopacks we have available are from 2005 and no updates have been done since this time. I have raised this as an enhancement with the Dev team to see if they can check and do any updates to this, but as it is provided as is, this may not happen quickly. In the mean time, the only information we have on Geopacks can be found here.

Generally Geopacks are provided as is and updates are usually done by the customer if they are required.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Paul, we understand it is from 2005 but can you open the GeoPack and give us the list of countries? We want the plain list of countries that is inside the GeoPack.

How can we update the Geopack if we require?

photo

Hi Stefan,

You will need to leave this with me for a little while, whilst I request more information from the DEV team.

Regards,

Paul

photo

OK, just keep us updated.

photo

Hi Stefan and Kalaiselvan,

If you import the Countries Geopack you can actually edit/modify the information in the DB directly. There are several tables called geopack* for which you can change but as always, make sure you back things up first.

I should be able to get the source files for the geopacks and give these to you to look at / edit, and if you make any changes, you can send them back to me to give to the Dev team to compile and build new geopack files, which you can then re-import. I do not have access to the geopack data at the moment, but will be able to get to this tomorrow.

On the wiki we have some info on how to format the data.. https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/USER74/GeoPacksSo basically if you can deliver a zip of data to us, and we can convert into a GeoPack.

Would you like these files?

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, ive managed to pull out the country list. Let me digest this and then we will see how we can proceed further. Depending on how outdated this is we will think of a solution.

photo

Hi Stefan,

That's great. The support team are not geopack experts as it's one of those things we don't normally need to mess with, but the structure of the Tables would need some time to digest. I will leave it with you, but let me know how you go and if you want the raw files to looks at.

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Stefan,

Just checking in to see how you went with the geopack digestion :)

Thanks,

Paul

photo

It gave me cramps!

I finally did a mapping, i need to see which is faster, to map in the datawarehouse or in YF.

Any chance to have the geopack updated by your dev team as part of a regular update? 2005 is way back..

photo

Hi Stefan,

Yes, I thought it might. I have actually raised this as an IDEA with the DEV team, so I can only wait to see if something comes of it. I have attached the DEV ticket to this and if there is any update or progress, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Stefan,

Is there anything else I can help you with on this. I have the DEV ticket open now, so if there are any updates, I can you let you know accordingly.

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul, no other action is required from your side for now. Just let us know if any update comes from your DEV team. Many thanks for your support!

photo

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for letting me know. Yes I will keep an eye on the Dev ticket and if this is updated, will advise you accordingly.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file