Upgrade to YF 8 - Service/tomcat issues

Lawrence Brown shared this problem 5 years ago
Defect Fixed

Hi,

I recently installed a new version of yf 8 for a on a client site.

I'm having problems getting the service to install correctly.

The new installation is in C:\windows\yellowfin 8.0\appserver\bin, the old one being C:\windows\yellowfin\appserver\bin. Even when I navigate to the new installation on cmd to install the service it keeps installing on the old path. I've also set the CATALINA_HOME environment variable to be the new path and this hasn't solved it either.

It still thinks the path is the old one, please see attached files.

Need an answer ASAP if possible, please let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,

Lawrence

Replies (20)

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your issue.

To start off simply, I'm seeing a couple of "access is denied" errors in your cmd.JPG...

Can you confirm the command prompt is being run as an administrator, that has access to the windows and java installation directory paths?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm just about certain that the login I have does have administrator privileges and access to the folders but I'll double check before going any further.

Will update ASAP.

Regards,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Eric,

I've reinstalled using an Administrator and I now get another error.

I am sure it is related to the tomcat isn't allocating the memory?

I had no install errors.

Regards,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your response.

As I gather, you were able to install Yellowfin 8.0 "successfully" into the new path, however the the related Windows service has not reflected this change, along with any memory settings you may have defined during install (makes sense, as this would still be the old tomcat still running as the service path indicates). It's as though something is preventing the Yelllowfin service's executable path adjustment from happening. Or it's not happening to begin with...

A few questions -

Is your intent with the client a fresh install or an upgrade?

Can you confirm the Yellowfin Windows service is NOT running during install?

Can you also try running your fresh 8.0 from the new folder using /appserver/bin/startup.bat to confirm the new version has been successfully installed?

There are ways to customize the installer that may resolve this for you, this may be of assistance -

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/user80/Installer+Properties

A couple of potential "unpreferred" workarounds if you're in a time crunch (practice due diligence here please):

-try installing the new version into the old, previously working path (heh)

-try removing the old service from windows services manually before installation

-Manually update the yellowfin service path through this registry key:

0a9cc21cd867f7e2e1145ae0eace6b0c

Does any of this help to get you up and running?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, it was a new installation as we needed to install YF on SQL not the internal files.

Yes, I removed all instances of the YF service before installing the new ones.

Yes, I will try to run 8.0 manually and let you know.

The client environment is Windows SQL Server.

I'll try and the above and get back to you.

Regards,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Eric,

I've checked all the above and it all seems in order, for various reasons it was very difficult to install with the client so I'm remise to do this.

I've attached the error file, do you have any further information on error code 4?

Are there any other files that need to be checked?

Regards,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Lawrence.

I believe you would like to have a quick call in regards to this. I have arranged a meeting request in 10 minutes.

Paul Thornton is inviting you to a RingCentral meeting.

Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1494302081

Or iPhone one-tap:

+442038754507,,1494302081#

Or telephone:

Dial: +44 203 875 4507

Meeting ID: 149 430 2081

International numbers available:https://meetings.ringcentral.com/teleconference

photo

Hi Paul,

Licence info as requested.

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the meeting and it looks like everything is up and running from an application point of View. I will in the mean time look at the license and get back to you ASAP. Just a quick note for support members that we installed the latest version of 8.0.1.

Cheers,

Paul

photo

Hi Lawrence,

I believe Helen has now sent through a new licence file, however we are not 100% sure why this licence has breached at the moment, but if you could load up the new licence and see if this rectifies the breach, that would be great. In the mean time, I will be looking into the reason for the breach.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Thanks Paul, nothing has arrived yet?

photo

Apologies, I've found it

photo

New licence works thanks, old one attached.

Thanks for all your help Paul.

Friday gremlins :-) ?

photo

Hi Lawrence,

That's great news and thanks for letting me know. I will be chasing the licence up in the mean time and advise if any updates as I get them from the dev team.

Please let me know if you need anything else or are happy to close this off for now.

Cheers,

Paul

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Just letting you know, that this issue is related to a specific change to how the licences have been done and affects a specific set of circumstances for which you have hit. It only affects new installs of 8 and not upgrades. This issue however has now been found and fixed in the next release of 8, which will be 8.0.2. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Please let me know if you need anything else, but in the mean time, you should now be okay.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting me know, I've actually been sent the following screenshot from the client. Is this related to what you are describing?

Do you have an eta for 8.0.2 that I can go back to the client with?

Regards,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Lawrence,

I can confirm this behavior you're experiencing would be indicative of this defect.

As 8.0.1 was released recently, we don't have an ETA on 8.0.2 quite yet. However, I will be sure to provide this info here for you when it is available.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Just wanted to provide an update: this issue has been resolved and has been released in the most recent version 8.0.2.

Would you be in a place to upgrade and report your results?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Lawrence,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this as Defect Fixed for now, feel welcome to re-open with a reply here if you experience any related issues on the new build.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file