ElasticSearch as DataSource

Kamate, Vikram shared this idea 5 years ago
Completed

Hi,

Is it possible to connect to ElasticSearch as datasource?

I tried to create plugin for ElasticSearch and create datasource but no success.

Is this verified?

Can you please help me with any tested jar file to be used in plugin and test connection.

Thanks,

-Vikram

Replies (10)

photo

Hi Kamate,

We do not have any drivers for ElasticSearch and from a quick search it would seem that this is one of your only options, though I cannot speak to its effectiveness:

https://github.com/Anchormen/sql4es

We are not aware of clients who use ElasticSearch, and it would not be considered an "officially supported" connection. Typically anything with a JDBC driver will be able to do at least basic queries, but will struggle on DB specific functions such as parsing month out of a date value. In this case, many of the advanced text search capabilities cannot be replicated with SQL queries and therefore, will also not be supported by a JDBC driver.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Thank you for update, can you please take that as request so that we can get support for same in future.

-Vikram

Sent: 17 August 2018 19:00

To: Kamate, Vikram <Vikram_Kamate@bmc.com>

Subject: Re: ElasticSearch as DataSource [#10356]

photo

Hi Kamate,

I have raised this as an idea within our Dev team and if there is any progress or updates, I will let you know.

Thank you,

Paul

photo

Hi Vikram,

I just wanted to quickly follow-up on this one. It appears that ElasticSearch has recently released their own JDBC driver, and though I have yet to try it myself, this does appear to be far more official than the github linked provided originally. Would you be able to give this a shot and let us know if you run into any problems?

https://www.elastic.co/downloads/jdbc-client

Nathan

photo

Hi Kamate,

Thank you for posting your product idea, we love to hear about new ways we can make the product even better and easier to use.

We review ideas each month and work with the Community to help encourage feedback to rank suggestions that we can present to our product team for review. Not all ideas make it into the product roadmap but all ideas lead to some new thinking for our team.

Keep sharing and as soon as the status changes on your post you will know if we have moved your idea into our product roadmap or a status of 'not planned'.

Thank you,

photo

Hi Paul, I have tried to create data source using ElasticSearch as well as cassandra jdbc driver. For both drivers I am getting 'NoClassDefFoundError' error while creating datasource.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.elasticsearch.xpack.sql.jdbc.EsDriver
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.apache.cassandra.cql.jdbc.CassandraDriver
Jar Versions : 
cassandra : cassandra-jdbc 1.2.5.jar
ElasticSearch : x-pack-sql-jdbc-6.6.0.jar
It looks like error from yellowfin while reading the driver. Can you please help me if I am missing something?

Thanks,
Abhishek.

photo

Hi Kamate,

Have you taken a look at https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-add-a-new-jdbc-driver-for-use-in-yellowfin on how to add the JDBC driver as yet? You need to also make sure that the right class is used in the jar file, which you might have to do search on (Such as for mysql below.)

Maybe DBVisualiser or Squirrel might recognise it and reveal it also.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Kamate,

Please see below for the correct class to use.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Kamate,

Hope you're having a good week.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Regards,

photo

Hi,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file