Restricting folder access by client org

Nick Eddy shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi Team,

I am working on cleanup of unused and or orphaned reports and other objects in our Yellowfin instances.

I have built a graph database using the config database to analyse report connections and identify clean up items, but rather than deleting straight away I would like to first hide them from users for a period by moving them to a restricted "to delete" folder.

If after a week or so users have not noticed the report then I can delete with confidence.

Ideally access to the delete folder would be restricted by client org (only visible by default - admins only).

That way:

1. as an admin I can login to a customer client org and test if anything has broken as a result of hiding the report
  2. if customers actually still need this report - it is just a matter of moving it back to the original folder

Could you please confirm if restricting folder access by client org is possible? - if not what alternatives do you suggest.

Thanks,

Nick

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Nick,

no restricting folder access by client org is not possible.

Why don't you create a special client org that only you have access to, and move the reports there - that way no other client orgs will be able to see them.

Or if not that, why not just make the reports private with only you having access to them.

regards,

David

photo

Thanks Dave, thought as much.

Tricky as I want to have access to manage folder, but also want to hide it from myself to test. Maybe I just set up a second login for myself with lesser permissions.

Anyway thanks for reply - Nick

photo

you're welcome Nick.

By the way, compliments for your creativity and ingenuity on coming up with your graph database!

regards,

David

photo

Thanks. Came across Neo4j in my last job and seemed like the perfect tool to help manage "bloating" of YF content.

We have one particular YF instance with almost 300 reports so it's difficult to see all the moving parts.

This way I can easily identify items for cleanup or assess impact of changes to a view, source table etc.

Here is sample:

/h9NkhrGyUbsVgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

photo

very interesting indeed Nick! Thanks for sharing that on this public Question rather than a private ticket - that way it may help other Yellowfin administrators in the future.

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file