Ability to Browse Dashboard Tabs by Folder Strucutre on Group Edit Page

Shery Cheong shared this idea 5 years ago
Idea Logged

I have 2 dashboards with identical names (ie. "User Enrollment") but both belong to different folders with different user access permissions. I want to set one version of "User Enrollment" dashboard as the default for user group A, and a second version of "User Enrollment" for user group B. However when I am in the "user group" settings page, the default tab would show all my dashboards with no way of differentiating which one is which.

I would prefer if I did not have to rename them as "User Enrollment A" and "User Enrollment B" because this is not a great end user experience. How do I go about dealing with this issue in the most efficient way possible?

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Shery,

Thanks for reaching out with the issue you're facing. To simulate this I have performed the following:

Created User A who can Read Folder A. This user has been added to Group A.

Created User B who can Read Folder B. This user has been added to Group B.

I then created to dashboards named, "The Dashboard" with different reports to differentiate. I also made note of which was A and which was B in the Dashboard Description.

When assigning a Dashboard to User Group A, clicking a selection of "The Dashboard" actually shows me the Description which reads "This one's in A":

e132e64214b72bff3526a5c697d369a1

This may help in classifying which is which.

Continuing on with my testing, however, my theory is that the dashboard tab will only be assigned if the user has permission to read said dashboard. To test this, I'm adding both to this group's assignment.

Upon login to User A, you can see only one is assigned:

c1b092f481f80f2356a47a3de8ae707d

Which brings us to two possible solutions.

1. Use the Description field to denote which is which. This field is not generally exposed to the end user without them looking for it.

2. Simple assign both tabs to the group. Users will only pick up that which they have permissions to.

Let me know your thoughts on this. Happy to consider any relevant Ideas for Enhancement if you have an alternative work flow in mind.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan-

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have tested solution #1 and it seems to be working. However it would be a good product enhancement if a user is able to select the folder first in the dropdown and then filtered for the dashboards, as opposed to just seeing all dashboards together.

photo

Hi Shery,

I'm glad this is working for you. I've taken the liberty of switching this over to an Idea post and will keep you updated with further information as it is available.

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file