Difference between Dashboard and Co-display?

Kalaiselvan shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi Team,

Could you please clarify the below points.

1. What is the main difference between Dashboard and Co-Display?

2. At which scenario i should go with Co-display or Dashboard?

3. What are all the limitation with these two formats?

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

Replies (9)

photo

Hey Kalaiselvan,

Hope you are well :)

The Co-display option allows you to link multiple reports together from a single master report. This can include:

• Co-display: Where one or more reports are displayed on the same report.
  • Tabbed reports: Where multiple reports are added to a master report using tabs

The benefit of these options is that you can show multiple reports within a single master report that have unrelated data sets but are of common interest to the user.

Dashboards are designed to visually display Key Performance Indicators (KPI) in order to allow quick and clear examination of actual performance. A typical dashboard is designed with high level reports that can drill down to more detail when required.

Yellowfin's dashboard allows you to display all key reports on a single page, using tabs to organise by subject and type. The tab feature also allows you to search your public repository for enabled reports and add them to a selected tab, or grant access to pre-built public tabs.

In regards to limitations, it would depend on what you are trying to achieve with them. if you try something with either a dashboard or a Co-Display report, and you are unsure if it it working as expected you can submit a ticket and we will be happy to help/ get it working or find a workaround, providing there is one.

Hope this has helped, Let me know :)

Also i will leave some links to our wiki below that are a great knowledge base on what to expect from yellowfin.

Co-display wiki link

Dashboard Wiki link

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your swift response and clarification. I already referred the links that you have provided, but i was expecting the response different.

Since both are used to link multiple reports to display in one page, why we have two different elements? Could you please advice me with more details, like the below

1. What is the main difference between Dashboard and Co-Display?

- (from my understanding) Co-display required a master report in order to create this, whereas Dashboard is not required the master report.

2. At which scenario i should go with Co-display or Dashboard?

- If report should be in access to edit then go with co-display

3. What are all the limitation with these two formats?

- Different layout available in Dashboard, whereas in Co-display don't have layout option (except to place of the report).

Thanks for your anticipation. Please let me know if any further details required.

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo

Hey Kalaiselvan,

yes thats correct, Co-Display reports, in short, are for reports that relate to a master report. A dashboard does not so and you can display any report you wish to see on the dashboard, related or not.

In regards to your second question, it all depends on your scenario, though if you would like to edit the reports, you are able to edit both Dashboard reports and Co-Displays

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hey Lesley,

Thanks for your reply, but i am looking for more details, since it is not available in Wiki. As you confirmed co-display and dashboard, then what is the purpose of to have two different elements which is going to produce the same results (previously i have mentioned only the difference).

This is required for me to understand the purpose of this features and to explain my clients/users why we have two formats in Yellowfin. From my knowledge there should be some reason for this, but i couldn't catch it. Could you please assist me on this to get more details (with the below area) about these functionalities.

1. Purpose

2. Limitation

Hope i can get more details :-)

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo

Hey Kalaiselvan,

The purpose on why you would use either of these functions completely depends on your use case. and i wouldn't be able to state the limitations as this also depends on what you are doing with these two functions and we may be able to find workarounds for them.

My apologies that i am unable to provide more detailed information on either of them. Though, if i knew what your use case was, i would then be able to support you in which option would be best suited and why.

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hi Lesley,

Somehow i figured out the difference. Dashboard is mostly used to show summary level information, where as in Co-display can be used for both Summary or details level information.

For Purpose - Example -> the purpose of yellowfin "Signals" (in Version 8) is to get instant notification by the user, so that they can well aware of what is happening in their data.

For limitation part, i am looking for the limitation in terms of tool point of view. for example, in Charts - all the charts will not have brushing option, Yellowfin have some limitation for this (refer the attached screenshot).

Thanks for your assistance. I hope this make sense.

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo

Hey Kalaiselvan,

I've been looking for some internal documentation on the limitations of dashboards and Co-Displays, however, there doesn't seem to be any. However i do encourage you to use both Dashboards and Co-displays, test them out, find out what they can and cannot do, if you are then unsure if a dashboard or Co-Display can do what you are hoping to achieve, then please don't hesitate to ask! As i do not currently know what your use case for either function is, i would be unable to try it out on my end and therefore unable to give you a definitive answer, which i know is not ideal!

Hope this was helpful, Let me know :)

Best Wishes,

Lesley

photo

Hey Lesley,

Thanks for your response. Sure, i will test both formats internally, if you find anything from your end about these please let me know. For now, you can go ahead to close this topic. I will get back if any questions on this in feature.

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo

Hey Kalaiselvan,

Thanks for letting me know! and yes, please do let me know if there is something you are trying to do and you would like me to test it out for you! Although i do hope both functions do exactly what you want :)

Best Wishes,

Lesley

Leave a Comment

Attach a file