Screenshot feature not working after updating to 7.4

Renato Marcello dos Reis shared this problem 5 years ago
Resolved

Hi guys,

I've update a few weeks ago to Yellowfin 7.4 to test the new features, but I've founda few issues that wasn't happening on 7.3+ version. The first one, is related to the report context image, that is the picture taken when we click on camera button that appears when the mouse is over a report on a dashboard. After update the Yellowfin, it shows nothing but an error image that can be seen attached on this post as "PrintScreen.jpg".

Is there a solution for this issue?

The second problem, I didn't tested before, because until now I had no need to use this feature and it's related to Export SQL Declaration. This button can be found on information options (SQL Declaration tab) on any report. If we just click on it, a java error appear and the Yellowfin closes immediatly. I can simply copy the SQL content and paste on Management Studio, but this feature is really helpful and it would be great to have it. I wasn't sure on how to attach information about this error, so I copied the text on the java window that showed the error and pasted on a text file (JavaError.txt). I've also attached to this post a print screen (PrintScreenJava.jpg) that shows the error.

Can someone help me with those issues?

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Renato,

Regarding your first point, I have been able to replicate the camera button issue so I have raised a defect so that it gets fixed.

Unfortunately at this point in time I don't have an ETA for the fix. As a workaround until it gets fixed I would suggest to please use the PrintScreen button on your keyboard.

Regarding your 2nd point, so far I haven't been able to replicate this issue - I have tested it in 7.4.8 and Export SQL is working just fine.

I have attached a video of what I'm doing to test it, please have a look and then let me know whether I'm doing the same thing as you.

As well as that I'm going to ask a few questions that might end up helping me replicate the issue.

Does the Export SQL error occur for all reports or is it just one or a few?

Does it occurs in any client org?

Do you use the translation feature? If so, if you turn that off does the issue still occur?

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

First of all, thanks a lot for your help. The Yellowfin Support is amazing.

Regarding the 1st point, no problem. I'm gonna wait till it gets fixed on a later update.

About the 2nd point, it seems to be a problem in my computer, but I have no idea on where to start to look for a solution. On your video, you've done exactly what I'm doing.

Here's the answer to your questions:

Does the Export SQL error occur for all reports or is it just one or a few?

I've tested on 10 diferent reports, and i got the error on each one of then.

Does it occurs in any client org?

Right now I'm using only one client org.

Do you use the translation feature? If so, if you turn that off does the issue still occur?

No, I'm not using this feature, however, I was thinking in activate for test purpose on other things.

Thanks in advance.

photo

Hi Renato,

thanks for the compliment although I can't accept it until we resolve your 2nd issue!

Usually when I investigate Null Pointer Exceptions I can find out what is causing the problem, but in this case it is very strange, if you're interested I will show you the code:

/wAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

so in this case it means either the report doesn't have a definition (ReportHeader) or it doesn't have a report name (ReportName) both of which can't be possible.

So I am proposing a different angle of investigation - we do a new fresh installation of Yellowfin on the same computer where your current one is.

1) When you are installing it choose the HSQL database as your Yellowfin database (this is only because it is the easiest, and we're not going to be using it anyway - it's just to get through the installation only)

2) You will need to run your new YF once because the 1st time it runs, YF creates the ROOT folder (which is the application folder)

3) Then shut it down and edit the file called <Yellowfin>\appserver\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\web.xml, you will need to change just 4 parameters, so copy the part of your previous web.xml file that contains the following 4 parameters (luckily they are all one after the other)

JDBCDriverClass, JDBCUrl, JDBCUser, JDBCPassword and paste them over the new parameters.

4) Now when you run Yellowfin, your new Yellowfin application will be using your old Yellowfin database.

Then of course test if the SQL Export functionality is working correctly.

If we are unlucky and it isn't, then it would also be a good thing to do to upgrade your Java installation and see if that helps or not.

Please let me know how this goes.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Unfortunatly, after installed a new instance of Yellowfin and used the previous database parameters, even though, the error occurred. Should I try another version, maybe?

About the Java Version, I was using an old version (8.0.162), and I've tried to update to the new release version (8.0.201) but nothing has changed. To remove any doubts about java versions, I also tried the following versions:

10.0.0 and 11.0.2 who is the latest release on java. It doesn't worked too. Is there anything else we could try?

photo

Hi Renato,

thanks for doing that diagnostic test - if the issue persisted in the new Yellowfin with the new Java then the only thing in common between the old and the new installations of Yellowfin is the Yellowfin database. Somehow it must be in such a state as to cause this issue.

Therefore, because of this I would ask that you upload a backup of it to our FTP site. You don't need an account to do this, just upload your file. Please give it a unique name so I can find it among all the other clients databases (e.g. don't call it "Yellowfin") and let me know when you've done it.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I was looking for the FTP link to upload the database, but I didn't found. Can you share it please?

Thanks a lot for your help.

photo

Hi Renato,

yes, looks like I forget to give it to you, sorry about that, here it is:

https://yellowfin.brickftp.com/

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

The file is uploaded. It's called "Sofis.bak". I hope this can help.

photo

David, Do you mind if I use this topic to ask another question? If it's out of scope, I can open another thread topic. Here it goes...

Can I use the same Yellowfin Database for multiple instances of Yellowfin who has different versions? There are changes in database arquitecture on new releases like 7.3, 7.4 or 8.0? The reason for the question is that I'm trying to do something like this and it seems to be working just fine, but I don't know if there are any problem by doing this or if there are new configurations who wasn't there on earlier releases.

Thanks in advance.

photo

Hi Renato,

usually with the release of new major version there are additions to the database schema (new tables, new columns), these won't affect older versions of YF using a newer YF DB, however if you have a new YF application trying to use an older YF database then it mightn't work because it could be looking for tables or columns that don't exist.

Also sometimes there are modifications to the existing schema such as changing a datatype of an existing column, and these sort of changes will cause problems.

So in summary, if it works then that's OK and you're lucky, but quite often it won't work.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Renato,

Just want to let you know that your 1st issue has now been resolved in the latest 7.4.10 release.

You can now use the screenshot feature again without error.

Unfortunately I'm still not sure how to resolve your 2nd issue witht the export to SQL option. I'm thinking we will need to move it to a private ticket to get some additional information. Thoughts?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Once again, thanks a lot for your help. I've noticed when I updated my test enviroment. About the second issue (SQL Export), it seems the error are not ocurring on 8.0.1 version, so I'll update sometime in the future to get the problem solved.

You can close the topic.

Regards,

Renato

photo

No problems at all, glad you're all up and running on 8.0.1

8.0.2 will be out mid June and will include some performance improvements, so be sure to check in then ;)

Please let us know if run into any other problems.

Regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file