Authentication tab missing from configuration?

Aaron Morgan shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

the authentication tab is missing from administration→ configuration, i have searched to why this is missing but i cant figure it out!! if anyone has any insights to why this tab is gone it would be much appreciated. also if anyone knows the location or name of the file with authentication settings so i can edit them myself that would also be a big help.

Yellowfin Version: 7.1

Best Answer
photo

Hi Aaron,

Actually, it has occurred to me that another reason you would not see options to edit the Roles is if you're signed into a Client Org. Is this the case for you?

/D4wGXdwuRW8AAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Only if I create a new role from within the Client Org can I then access one of the Roles - the newly created one:

/wczkapWvEuWNgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

If you can sign into the Default Org you should be able to edit the Roles.

Regards,

Mike

Replies (10)

photo

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you please provide screenshots of all your permissions settings for the Role you're logged in under when experiencing this issue?

Unfortunately, there are just too many permissions to try and toggle on-and-off and test. In addition there are instances where settings are admittedly not logically contained within the permission name itself. It'd greatly expedite the process to see how your setup differs from mine, where I do have this option available.

If you don't already know, you can find your Role permissions under Administration > Admin Console > Roles > choose corresponding Role.

I won't require screenshots of every section - you can skip Dashboard, Browse, Report Builder, Storyboard, Web Services, and Other

Thanks,

Mike

photo

i don't seem to have access to change that either? clicking on the role does nothing and i can only copy them.

photo

Hi Aaron,

Are you yourself an Administrator in your instance? The inability to edit roles would itself be a permission set somewhere.

Do you have the ability to log in to the default admin@yellowfin.com.au Admin account, for instance, and if so, is this working there? You should also be able to tell which Users are assigned to which Roles from there.

Can you also indicate which build of Yellowfin you're on? You can find this information under Application Details, next to Current Code Version in the info.jsp file, which is accessible by appending '/info.jsp' to your login URL. For example, localhost:8080/info.jsp

Thanks,

Mike

photo

I have been using the default admin@yellowfin.com.au account as that is the only admin account we have.

code version is 20170208

photo

Hi Aaron,

I did find the appropriate role permission:

/wMv+vvEEF1KzgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

This isn't so helpful if you can't get into the Roles themselves, however. It seems like there's a possibility that something may have become junked up in your config db, especially if you can't click on the Roles to access them and this issue occurred unprompted. When did this issue start? Was something in your environment changed recently that may have caused this? Do you have a backup of your config db that you can roll back to?

If it is the case that something's gone awry in the config db and there's no back up, unfortunately 7.1 is End Of Life and is no longer being supported, so even if a defect were to be discovered, no fixes would be forthcoming (and would require an upgrade regardless).

Is there any chance you can upgrade to version 7.2 at least to see if this issue still persists? Upgrades from 7.1 to 7.2 have historically been relatively non-problematic. 7.2 is also EOL, but it may prove to be the quickest and easiest way to resolve the issue you're experiencing.

Before doing this, it may be worth attempting accessing the following: <LoginURL>/MIPreAdminRolesEdit.i4, for example, http://localhost:8080/MIPreAdminRolesEdit.i4 what will likely happen is it will just show a blank roles page, but if you go ahead and cancel that, I'd be curious to see if it then made the options available from the Admin Console... it may be a long shot but it's worth a try.

Finally, one other thing I'm curious of, simply to eliminate factors and to make it more certain this is indeed a config db issue, can you please open your F12 Developer Tools Console and let me know if there's any JS errors when you click to enter the Admin Console page? If there are, please let me know results of testing in another browser.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

i was able to access the MlPreAdminRolesEdit.i4 but it came up with the add screen to add a role instead of edit. i then added a new role that had access to role editing which i was able to edit with my admin account afterwords and made a new account on the new role but the only role that was accessible to edit was the one i just created. i think it has something to do with the current roles in the system. its like they were set up to not be able to be accessed.

no errors when i checked console im currently running this on chrome.

photo

Hi Aaron,

I've had a similar case where on the Admin Console existing Data Sources became un-clickable (instead of Roles), but when a new one was added, it was able to accessed. It was determined to be related to local environmental factors relating to the environment Yellowfin was installed in (Virtual Box, which I'm mentioning in the off-chance this is where your YF is installed) and unfortunately was only resolved by running a fresh install into a different environment, but we may have other options or possibilities to eliminate before being required to do an upgrade, for example.

Can you please address my remaining questions from my previous response? I'm curious of the answers to those questions. As a reminder, those questions were:

When did this issue start?

Was something in your environment changed recently that may have caused this?

Do you have a backup of your config db that you can roll back to?

In addition to answering these questions, can you also provide a compressed copy of your entire logs folder, located at <YellowfinInstall>/appserver/logs so we can see if anything else stands out here?

Finally, can you also provide a CSV export of your 'reportviewsource' table in your config db? This way we can see if there's some obvious issue in the pertinent table itself.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Aaron,

Actually, it has occurred to me that another reason you would not see options to edit the Roles is if you're signed into a Client Org. Is this the case for you?

/D4wGXdwuRW8AAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Only if I create a new role from within the Client Org can I then access one of the Roles - the newly created one:

/wczkapWvEuWNgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

If you can sign into the Default Org you should be able to edit the Roles.

Regards,

Mike

photo

That solved it! never even thought to go to the default org.

Thanks!

Aaron M.

photo

Hi Aaron,

No worries. Glad to hear it!

I'll go ahead and close this case out then.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file