Displaying currently applied filters in a dashboard

Joseph Perfettini - Derenne shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

When using Drill Down on a chart in a dashboard, how can a user see the currently active filters applied to all the charts inside the dashboard?

Specifically, is there a way to show the filters at the dashboard level in the same way as chart level (see attached file)?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Joseph,

The mechanism we have in place to display these filters is slightly different on a dashboard than on the report itself, but achieves a similar outcome. This can be found in the report's drop-down menu as seen below:

b198c6a968e3d44eac83688c6ce76b51

Please let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Thanks for the reply Nathan.

We are building out-of-the-box dashboards and reports with out-of-the-box "data analysis and investigation flows" (configured in the form of drill throughs/downs). As part of this, we want to be able to display the "context" to a user, e.g. when a user drills down or through, displaying the applied filters based on their selection in the prior dashboard or report.

Hence, the question: can the filters always be shown by default or would the user always need to do apply the "show filters" manually?

Additionally, the problem I see is that in this feature, each report is showing the filter. However, because it would be the same filter applied to all the reports in the dashboard (for instance, the reports are all filtered to only show the data for a specific country), it would seem highly repetitive to display the same applied filter for each report individually. Can the applied filter be displayed at the dashboard level and not for each report?

photo

Hi Joseph,

Unfortunately this setting will need to be enabled manually by the user each time they view the dashboard, and is specific to each report.

I am not sure if this is relevant to your needs, but it might be worth looking into creating "header" reports that contain one of the columns being filtered on, so when you apply a filter you will see a row for each of the values remaining after the fitler.

There are ways to do this within a single report, but these are all odd workarounds that may not be aesthetically pleasing or worth the effort. Javascript charting will make all of this far easier!

Sorry for the inconvinince.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Yes please... We are after something like this too

photo

Hi Bradley,

As I said this is not ideal and will be made far easier with the introduction of JS charting.

1. I first created a view level calculated field for each filter I used. This field simply returns the name of the field (so the name of the field is in every row associated with that field).
  2. I then placed the first filter field into the report, and its corresponding title field into sections.
  3. I then created a union sub-query for each of these fields:

130e29f3fd47c05452a1c35003f396bc

9b85d72d95af030fe3a7aa2cf700aa08

After setting the section typed to tabbed I get this result:

664ad80768945a593a7647fafe5cf72a

The steps here are a bit odd, so please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Nathan

Edit, this is how the data looks when I move "Dem" into the table, instead of sections.

361d3121b1c074ea4db772c430092039

photo
photo

Hi Joseph,

I am going to close this case for now, but if there is anything else I can do, just reply and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file