Grouped field in scatter chart

Peter Flinn shared this problem 7 years ago
Resolved

Once a field is grouped it is no longer a metric, but becomes a dimension. This means that it can't be used as the basis for the x axis in a scatter chart.

Lets say I group a field called 'Age' into groups. Can this be used as the basis for the x-axis on a scatter chart, once it is grouped?

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Peter,

I hope all is well,

I have gone through the steps to create a Scatter Chart using metrics and all was well as expected. I then used the option of Group Data, which as we know converts the metric to a dimension resulting in this not working. I have replicated the above issue that you have run in to but unfortunately at this time Scatter Charts only accept metrics.

Notice our Wiki states "metric" during the explanation of creating a Scatter Chart; http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER73/Scatter+Chart

Going forward although this is not possible we do have 2 options:

1. We can raise this as an Idea within our Idea section - please provide enough information to cover what you require.
  2. Within our up and coming release of 7.3+ we have the option of using JavaScript Charts, more information can be found via this link: https://www.yellowfinbi.com/blog/2017/03/yellowfin-7-3-creating-next-level-visualizations-with-javascript-charts

I hope this helps Peter, and I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Thanks Mark. So far as my query is concerned it might be an idea to raise this as in idea. We've found that by grouping items in our reports the visuals are simpler, and help to focus the attention of clients to those areas that need attention - we use these groupings throughout, so that there is also a consistent approach. A long axis of people's ages, for example, is less compelling than a shorter axis of grouped age bands, I'll look into the the use of JavaScript charts when the new release comes out.

photo

Hi Peter,

Thank you for getting back to me. Going forward it would be a good idea to raise this as an "Idea"

This aside as mentioned in my previous post - looking into the JavaScript Charts could be the way going forward.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Peter,

I hope all is well,

I just want to question whether or not I can go ahead and mark this problem as "Resolved" If you can get back to me asap I would appreciate this greatly. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Mark

photo

That's OK Mark, please change it.

photo

Hi Peter,

I have since marked this as "Resolved" have a great day.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file