An object's description should be visible as a tool-tip in the thumbnail view

Steve Remington shared this idea 7 years ago
Completed

The object description is not visible when displayed in the thumbnail view.

It should be visible with the title as a tooltip when the user mouses over the object thumbnail image or title when in thumbnail view.

One strength of Yellowfin is the ability to record metadata about objects that can make it easy for users to find the exact content they are looking for. Not making the object description available in the thumbnail view decreases usability for users who choose to use the thumbnail view.

Replies (7)

photo

Steve thanks for the suggestion. You are right this would make the user experience better. We will review at our end of month session, good thing for us to consider as we work on the next major release.

Lee

photo

Hi Steve,

This is currently in discussion with the team, and was hoping to get some detailed examples of the type of info you want to see and where. When you are talking about thumbnail view, do you mean the reports in the browse page?

Then when hovering over the report you want to see data source, view and report details such as last modified, category etc..?

Or are you referring to something else?

Thanks,

David

photo

David,

Yes I am referring to the thumbnail on the browse page.

I think the mouse-over pop-up should contain the Report Title and and Report Description. Adding more details could clutter the pop-up. I think this sufficient for most people. If they need other details they can switch to List View.

Regards,

Steve

photo

No updates as yet on this enhancement

photo

Hi Steve,

I hope all is well,

Mark here from the EMEA Support Team. I am going through some of our "old" tickets that we have within the Yellowfin Enhancement bucket, of which I came across this request. Having looked at this within 9.10.0.1, I can see that this has been implemented.

Highlighting over the said Report and selecting the Circled Question Mark icon gives us this information;

81674aa870a86e245c4ca24a84ace22f

However it cuts off the full Description.

With this, we do have an alternative option, and that is by selecting 'Edit Details' in this you can see the full Description;

9e15f0891e630356b032336fb07f9a55

9549458712df5f26d34543ea17dfabeb

Let me know if this helps.

What next?

I have questioned this with the wider team to see what options we have around the issue of the Description getting "cut off"

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Steve,

I hope all is well,

I just want to touch base to see if you had chance to read through my update on this Enhancement raised. Going forward, we can see that we implemented said request, however, I suspect an additional Enhancement would now be needed in order to correct the popup window size to accommodate for content that is cut off, so that it's visible (specifically relating to the Description section).

If you can get back to me that would be great. If I do not hear back, I will mark this as Completed and raise a new Enhancement (on your behalf) covering the above. I hope this is ok.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Steve,

I have gone ahead and raised an Enhancement here. I will mark this ticket as Completed.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file