Row Level Security for different group of users

Shraddha Batwalkar shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hello,

I did not find any relevant data for my below question what i want to check, I have explained the scenario below.

I have a sales data set which has different Groups and Sub - Group and i wanted to know how can i achieve the security for same.

1. I have Geography wise Group say Inida, Australia, Singapore and US

2. In each of the above group i have Sub Group say Sales Director which should be able to see all the Sales Report at the Global Region Level say for Example All the countries mentioned above.

Again we have another sub-group say Sales Regional Manager which should see specific to region and another sales group say AE.

How do we configure the security for such kind of scenarios.

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes this can be done by the use of Access Filters. I have just created a video as a quick guide on how to do this which you can find here. I have used manual input of data, but there is more information on the other ways, which would be (in most cases) more suitable and more dynamic going forward. The video shows me creating a datasource ACL (I missed adding the Admin user to start with, but probably a good way to see what would happen I guess :) ). I have then applied the access filter to the View but left the option of it being non mandatory for the test and this is optional. I then created a report and toggled it as shown, logged out and logged back in as 2 different users.

There is also more information on this in our Wiki, which you can find here.

Let me know if this is the sort of thing you are looking for.

Regards,

Paul

photo

HI Paul, When i click on the video its takes me to a share not found screen. Would i be able to get the link to this video?

Many thanks!

photo

Hi Deannah,

Unfortunately, this was a temporary link uploaded to an FTP server. However, the steps required to set this up are contained under the Overview section of the Restricting Data with Access Filters Wiki, which you can find here.

You'll head into your Data Source > Access Filters > click Configure Reference Types > type in something like Region Filter > Add:

/e51f084f683763026730eee051088394

Then click 'Add':

/69d1acb40b2c5c8c68ee12c506d80780

I'll choose Manual just to quickly demonstrate > choose Reference Type, type in a Name, then click Input Values:

/0e58c97cf91995926b2285eb24df8af1

When you click on the Search bar, your users come up:

/4b722fd1d5e6b9ec078daf5d982e65e2

Here I can assign manually assign values to specified users in the access filter:

/afd6b864c2f0cf4685b9ca27b503651a

You can check the Records to ensure these were added:

/f4f24ed62c31d0b0663f5befc392bf63

Next, head into the View you want to apply the Access Filter to and assign the Access Filter to the relevant field in the Prepare Stage under Field Settings, which is in this case AGENCYREGION:

/f49531c9602de32b026c55d972af6bd5

Then the last step is to apply this at the report level under Access Filters. This is before enabling (by checking AGENCYREGION) as System Administrator user:

/29e82f8344f53bfef441d4d0f9cc09d5

Then after applying:

/0515ccf13bfbff40c5a97419c5fe7cd1

If I were to sign in as Michael Sheeha, as per above, I'd instead see Asia and Europe.

Hopefully this helps! Please try these steps and read through the linked Wiki and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Deannah,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered since I haven't heard back from you, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

photo
photo

Hi Shraddha,

Hope you had a good weekend.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Regards,

photo

Hi Shraddha,

I have not heard back from you in regards to this ticket so I will close this off for now. If you need any more help with, please reply to this.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file