Trying to sort a count via date ranges

Julius Alexander shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

I have tickets and a date they were created. I added a calculated field for the days until now for the age of each ticket, but what I can't figure out is how to then group them. I'd love to have a grouping like tickets 1-3 days old, 4-8, 9-12. . ect. So I could then chart them with that grouping.

I'm not sure how to group them in the raw data or in the chart that I would ideally then create.

Replies (5)

photo

Okay I resolved my issue.

Using a calculated field with freehand sql I was able to achieve my goals.

Here is an example of the freehand sql:

case

When (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) <= 7 THEN '0-7'

When (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) >= 8 and (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) < 31 THEN '8-30'

When (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) >= 31 and (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) < 181 THEN '31-180'

When (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) >= 181 and (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) < 366 THEN '181-365'

When (datediff(dd,Created,getdate())) > 365 THEN '>365'

END

photo

Hi Julius,

Thanks for reaching out with your question, and subsequently providing the solution to your issue. This can be helpful for others who may come across this, so I wish more users would do so!

I will state though to take note of in the future, that Support doesn't generally handle data-specific report building and SQL scripting requests such as these. This would fall more in the realm of consulting. Support exists primarily to investigate and log Defects, submit Enhancements, and provide documentation. We'll of course typically provide pointers when and where possible, but this just may be something to be mindful of moving forward. In this case, we indeed would've indicated that your solution would lie in drafting a Calculated Field, so you indeed found the recommended path to head down!

This all said, please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns as we're always willing to offer some guidance!

Regards,

Mike

photo

I was under the impression that opened questions such as these existed so users could help one another. Is this not so ? Does yellowfin provide a place for users to share their questions and solutoins elsewhere or do you expect us to spend support time with yellowfin? That seems rather contrary to the collaberation spirit.

photo

Hi Julius,

You are correct! What I meant was that when customers wind up finding their own solutions they don't always post them, so I was just giving kudos to you for doing so.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Julius,

To further address your previous reply, this is indeed a collaborative public forum intended for users to search and find potential solutions for their issues and we've absolutely no issue fielding relatively simple questions such as these.

I also want to let you know of some additional resources we have available to help further your Yellowfin knowledge, if you haven't already discovered them. We have the Yellowfin Wiki, which details various processes from Data Source to Report Building. We also have the Yellowfin University, at which you can register and take structured lessons on how to use Yellowfin. And lastly, which you seem to have found already, the Yellowfin Community. The Community is where you can find various knowledge base articles and open tickets with Support. These resources are all available to help you succeed in using Yellowfin.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file