Timestamp to date with an Oracle database

Paul Sanders shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

I believe that to change a field data type from timestamp to a date, I need to create a Calculated Field at the View level in freehand SQL. Can anyone provide the SQL statement for an Oracle database please? I have tried several suggestions from Stack Overflow, but I get errors.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Replies (11)

photo

Hi Paul,

are you aware that you don't have use a Freehand SQL Calc Field? You can get Yellowfin to do it automatically by clicking the + button at the bottom of the Prepare screen, then selecting Date Function, then selecting Date as shown below:

I've just tested this an Oracle data source and it is working correctly. Please let me know if you have any issues with it.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David

Yes, but it did not help with my underlying problem. What I am trying to do is create a calculated field by adding

the date a guest arrives (a date)+

the number of nights' stay (numeric)=

the date a guest departs (date).

After using the function you suggested and then trying to create the calculated field, I get "Invalid data types, TIMESTAMP and NUMERIC for arithmetic operation PLUS". The new date field is still deemed to be a timestamp.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Paul

photo

OK, I'll play around with it over here now and let you know what I find...

photo

this is definitely working for me:

Have you tried that?

regards,

David

photo

and then apply the Date format via Column Formatting:

/U+Bk7EaiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

photo

Hi David

Instead of '1' in cast(ipclass.startdate as date) + 1, what is the sql to add the 'no of nights' field? Something like

cast(ipclass.startdate as date) + (ipclass.numberofnights) ?

regards

Paul

photo

Or perhaps I just do the calculated field at the report level?

photo

That is still working for me, here is my new calc field at the view level:

/g4kYbRU09QgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

and here it is in a report (once again, with the Column Formatting changed from Timestamp to Date)

/H+8s7S13QjPYwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

photo

Hi Dave

Success! Worked a treat.

Thanks so much for the help. You can mark this one closed.

Regards

Paul

photo

That's great news Paul, thanks for letting me know!

regards,

David

photo

When I worked with Oracle db, I tried to use different Delphi and Oracle database connection

Leave a Comment

Attach a file