Annotations Not Available

Tiana B. shared this idea 5 years ago
Not Planned

Hey there,

I want to be able to add annotations to my report, but when I go to do so, the annotation menu is not visible. I have checked and have made sure that they are turned on in the role configuration settings. There are two subqueries in use for this report and two defined filters being used. Would the subqueries and filters be the reason for not being able to annotate?

Regards,

Tiana

Replies (9)

photo

Sorry, I was mistaken. The report in which I am using uses no subqueries. There is one overall filter filtering the time period to be month to date. Sorry about that.

Another thing to note, the annotation option does pop up for other reports.

photo

Hi Tiana,

Thanks for reaching out. This is likely due to the permission for this not being set. Please reference our Wiki on Report Annotation for this and other information regarding annotations.

Please let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

As I previously stated, I checked to make sure all permission were set (http://prntscr.com/ld6n84). The option to annotate reports shows up on some reports I have, but not this particular one I am trying to annotate.

Regards,

Tiana

photo

Hi Tiana,

Sorry about that! Glossed right over that sentence. In testing this, it looks like Annotations are not available until a valid Date/Time field is added to the report. Using a Dimension as a Date does not work.

In terms of filtering, according to our wiki:

In order to link your Annotation to a filter value, you will need to complete the following:

1. Add the required filter to your report, ensuring that it is:User PromptCached
  2. Select the Filter from the first drop down list in the Annotation window
  3. Select the desired value from the second drop down list in the Annotation window

I'd first check to ensure the date fields are Date fields though. I can see from your other case that you're using actual Date fields (shows a Yellow calendar icon instead of just a Yellow icon) and that Annotations are available. So can you just confirm this is the same for affected report and if so, check the filtering steps required above?

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

There is no date field in this report because it is an over view of our accounts, so it is an aggregate of all of our metrics by account by day. (our date field is a timestamp and because we have it filtered by calendar month to date, we do not want to add a timestamp because that would add too many unnecessary rows) But the datefilter is indeed a user prompt filter.

Regards,

Tiana

photo

Hi Tiana,

If you reference the Report Annotation Wiki I referenced in my first reply, you'll see that having a Date field is required to set up Annotations. Each step under the "The figure above shows the three places annotations are displayed" subheading of the Overview mentions Annotations in relation to Dates. What I can do is submit an enhancement request to allow Annotations on reports without Date fields, if that's something you're interested in, but of course that functionality, if decided to be pursued, would not be introduced into a build for several months at least.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thank you. I think that would be a good enhancement to have.

Regards,

Tiana

photo

Hi Tiana,

Cool. I've gone ahead and converted this to an Idea item and submitted an enhancement request in our internal tracking system. I've also made note of your specific use case from your most recent reply in the corresponding task as well. I think it could be neat to have a more flexible Annotation functionality. Any potential updates regarding this matter will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Tiana,

I have an update regarding this. This idea has been marked as Not Planned with the following comment: "Annotations are time oriented things - tagging them to a set of dimensions with no date gives the risk that they become out of date as the underlying data changes."

Sorry there's not better news on this. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file