Force browse cache to show new or updated favicon?

Zack Tamble shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

I found this article that should force a user's browser to load a new or updated favicon.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2208933/how-do-i-force-a-favicon-refresh

<code><link rel="icon" href="http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico?v=2" /></code>

Where would I insert that bit of code to test and make sure it works for our users?

Please let me know if there's an easier or better way to force our users' browsers to reload the favicon image.

Thanks,

Zack

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Zack,

Thanks for getting in touch. You should just be able to replace the favicon.ico in the ROOT folder on the yellowfin installation.

I.E. /YellowfinInstall/appsserver/webapps/ROOT/favicon.ico

Just simply backup the existing one and replace with the new one. You should just be able to refresh the browser cache and the favicon should now show as the new one as per below.

c95b2c2f571718b47701c8c5131d89ba

File system image example

7c3d11270d96c2a89d4314e19037c25e

Let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Zack,

I am wondering if I miss read this question. Are you saying that the favicon you have used is not being refreshed as by forcing a refresh or by deleting the cache files (in some cases the history may also be required) should work. Is this on a specific browser you are seeing this issue?

I have not yet seen where the code as mentioned has been required and it should not be needed if the browsers cache has been cleared or even restarted once the cache has been cleared.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

The key is to force the browser to load the image/icon when a website loads, not require a manual refresh of the browser cache. The new favicon should be visible to them when we replace the existing one in the ROOT folder and they load the page the next time. Our goal is to avoid requiring them to clear their cache to see the new favicon.

The great majority of our users aren't going to refresh their cache (or know how, or understand why they should do that), nor should they have to when we have a new image for them to see.

The code I mentioned does work, and it goes in the index file in the ROOT Folder. Basically add a "?=v2" after the "favicon.ico" and it will force the browser to load a new favicon when the user next loads the site.

Thanks,

Zack

photo

Hi Zack,

This sounds like you would need to create your own login page and adjust this page with the settings you require. I would advise testing this on a dev environment first.

You can find information on this here.

Let me know how this goes but it should do what is required. Quick question. Are you still using YF 7.1 and if so do you have any plans to upgrade as 7.1 has reached its end of life for enhancements and critical support issues.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Zack,

Hope you had a good weekend.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Regards,

photo

Hi Zack,

Just checking in to see how you are going with this and whether you need further help or are happy for the ticket to be closed off.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Zack,

Just letting you know that I am going to close off this question as I have not heard back from you for some time. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file