Formatting issues when report exported to PDF

Bharath Kumar shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi Experts,

I have a long text field in my report and when I export the report to XLSX, formatting is good. However, the same report when exported to PDF, the formatting does appear to be different compared to excel.

Have attached test reports in both XLSX and PDF formats, is this expected with PDF?

Replies (9)

photo

Hi Bharath,

Thanks for getting in touch. Looking at the report details the output into pdf is not correct. There is a significant amount of managementincident data it needs to display, which it is placing into a table style format for both of these columns and therefore traversing multiple pages.

I am noticing that the first column B only has 1225 instances of the managementincident and column C has 3479, so this looks like a bug as it should be producing the right amount of data for each column.

Is this the problem you are facing?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Column B and C are Long text objejcts and can have data up to 4k characters. For testing, I have just inserted the "IncidentManagement" multiple times into that field. But the actually, the Column B and C has Email data like about 500-1000 characters. You can test similar use case in your test machine, inserting some dummy data. Excel format looks fine, but I know we cannot manipulate PDF, have attached screenshot for PDF where we have the actual data.

Let me know if this is a defect or is working as designed?

-Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

I have tested this out locally and confirmed this is working as expected for the amount of data being produced. Is there a particular look or appearance you were looking for?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Thanks for testing this. Yes, the expectation is like when exported to PDF instead on displaying the data in blocks, it should give a single row same as excel. Is this what the results of your testing?

-Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

The result is on a single row, but wrapped within the block. This is expected and the same result when I tested this. Excel will export this to a single line as this is how it works and the PDF will wrap the line into a block as per your test.

I hope that makes sense?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

I am testing this out, will let you know the results.

-Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

Hope you had a good weekend.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved or are you happy for me to close this off for now?

Regards,

photo

Hi Bharath,

Just checking in to see how you are going with this and whether you need any more help?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Bharath,

I am just letting you know, that I am going to close this ticket off as I have not from you for some time. If you need further help, please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file