How do we convert latitude and longitude to geo point?

Jonathan Allen shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

We have source data by postal code that we want to plot with a GIS Bubble Map. We also have a lookup table that has postal codes and latitude/longitude values so we can map postal codes to locations.

My question is: How can we convert those latitude and longitude values to a GIS Point for use in the bubble map? I saw the following article but it seems to be specific to the JSON connector: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-do-you-convert-separate-latitude-longitude-values-into-a-point-value-for-mapping

What format and data type does the data need to be in from a Postgres source for us to be able to have a GIS geo point field in our view? How is that configured in the view?

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for reaching out. Please reference our Wiki entry on GIS Map's. The Wiki entry makes mention that PostgreSQL supports GIS Columns and also explains how to setup and format GIS points in the View.

Hopefully this gives you what you're looking for. Please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Jonathan,

I just wanted to check in and make sure this info found you okay.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thanks for following up and my apologies for not responding. Yes the response answered my questions. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but don't have any other questions at this time.

Thanks!

photo

Hi Jonathan,

Great! Thanks for confirming. I'll go ahead and mark this Answered for now then, but if you wind up having any further questions on this please don't hesitate to reach out!

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file