User Roles- Limit Report Writer to 'Create or Copy'

Tony Ursino shared this idea 5 years ago
Not Planned

With YF v7.4; is there a proper user role configuration which will allow 'report admins' to create report templates which a 'report writer' can't delete or update- but can 'copy', then modify per their own requirements. Additionally 'report writers' can create/edit/delete their own ad hoc reports.

Use case: As a YF admin, I would like to create various report templates- but ensure other YF users can't edit or delete my original report versions.

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. I did some testing and came to the same conclusion as you; user roles do not provide the access granularity to "make a copy" but not "edit" unfortunately. However, there are other ways to accomplish this, and I believe your best option would be to leverage Yellowfin's Folder Security options.

As an administrator, you could create a Private Folder containing your report templates, and in turn create copies of the report templates in other locations with your desired access permissions. I've attached screenshots illustrating the process of creating and configuring a folder structure that would achieve the functionality you're looking for. Does this sound like a viable alternative to you?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

So it sounds like as an Admin I would need to manage two sets of reports (the original, and the copies). The drawback to this approach is managing possibly two versions of the same report if changes/updates aren't applied to each individual report.

photo

In the case where a user were to copy the 'template' report, they would then be able to modify this per their own requirements. If it were intended that such a report would be kept up-to-date with the template, the admin would have to manage all copies of said template. Hopefully this clarifies things for you.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Tony,

Just wanted to check in on this issue; did you have any questions or want to push this forward as a possible enhancement?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Tony,

I've converted this question to an Idea and submitted to our development team. Updates will be provided.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

You can skip the two folder option. Create a public <Template> folder, set the permission to read with access given to the report writers. The Writers will be able to copy the report but will not be able to directly edit the <Template> reports. They also will not be given the opportunity to publish the report back to the <Templates> folder. This is true for Admins as well. They will not be able to edit the reports in the <Templates> folder unless they explicitly change the permissions on that folder. This is a good idea and I will use it in my implementation.

photo

Hi Tony,

Just wanted to provide an update here, developers have marked this as enhancement as a "won't do:"

We don't have any plans to introduce this concept.

There may be some work arounds putting the "template" reports in a secure folder and only allowing other report writers to copy them (but not modify).

I will mark this ticket as "not planned" accordingly.

Regards,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file