When adding sub query with report-as-view as data source, filter-only fields are not included

Mark Whitehead shared this idea 5 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi there

From 7.2 onwards you have been able to use another Report as the Datasource in an Append Query within a Parent Report

However - I cannot see how you link Filters from the Parent Report to the Append Query (the Report as a Datasource - which contains the same Filter as the Parent Report)

Is this even possible?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reaching out. This should indeed be possible. If you create your append subquery, add a filter, go to Advanced Settings, and choose Link to Filter, your filters in your Append should be available as options:

If you do not see the option, than this likely comes down to how the report is setup in some way. I'd be happy to lend some pointers and guidance if you can describe a bit more about the report setup (subqueries, filters... with corresponding screenshots). However, assisting with report stands out to me and we can get this resolved quickly for you.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi there

I dont think I was clear enough

The Report that is being used as a Data Source has a Filter - we want to be able to link our Parent Reports Filter to that Filter - and when we use the Report as a Data Source we cannot see any fields other than those in the Report Table (which sort of makes sense) - but it would be nice if we could see the Fields used as Filters as well (we can't include them in the Table otherwise they change the grain of the Table)

In short - we want to link the Parent Reports Filter(s) to the Filters(s) that already exist in the Report being used as a Data Source

This is the Report to be used as a Sub Query

Screenshot at 8.31

This is how it looks as an Append

Screenshot as 8.30

As you can see - we cant see either of the Filters - so we cant add them - so we cant link to them

I suspect this is actually an Enhancement Request

Thanks,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

I think I understand what you're saying now: if you bring in filters to a report that you're ultimately using as a data source, but don't add the fields you are using as filters into the report itself, then you can't bring those filters in in the sub query section if using said report-as-data-source. The problem here is you don't want the filter fields to be in the table of the report-as-data-source itself.

You're on the right track here in that this is indeed simply not current functionality, so it would indeed be an enhancement request. Would you like me to go ahead and convert this to an Idea ticket, assuming my understanding above is correct (and if not please correct me), and submit this as an enhancement request?

In terms of a potential workaround, when you're using a report as a data source it's making a View based off the fields you bring into the report itself, so if it's this sub query method that works best for you, you can create a second small view that does contain all the fields you'd wind up needing, which would make the appropriate fields available for filtering, as you can then pull them in from the side drop drown, and you would not be forced to have those filter-only fields in the report table iself.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike

Yes - you have understood the problem perfectly

It would be great if you could raise this as an Enhancement Request

Thanks

photo

Hi Mark,

Sounds good. I've gone ahead and submitted an enhancement request for this and changed this into an Idea ticket. Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file