How can i fix error in Yellowfin BI: Error retrieving results ERROR: canceling statement due to use

Austin Aspillaga shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hope You can help me with the error on my Yellowfin BI. Everytime i will try to create a report this is the error i am getting.

*Error retrieving results

*ERROR: canceling statement due to user request

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Austin,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you advise if this is happening on all reports whether creating, editing or viewing? Are you seeing this on any dashboards? Is it just happening on once PC or across multiple users? It may be a browser cache problem, perhaps try and clear the browser cache to see if this help.

It may also be related to a timeout issue with the Datasource, which might be evident in the yellowfin or DB source logs. It might be worth looking into enabling volatile data sources, to ensure your connection is active when you need it:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/volatile-data-sources-what-is-it-and-when-do-i-need-it

If you could send me your yellowfin logs I might be able to see a little more on what is going on. These can be found in your Yellowfininstall/appserver/logs directory.

Please note, that Yellowfin 7.1 has reached end of life and we recommend upgrading to 7.4 which you can find more information on this here. If you have a dev environment, I would suggest doing the upgrade on there first.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your immediate reply.

This is happening when i am trying to create report on the yellowfin. I am trying to connect data via different tables in a single Database. On the view windows i successfully connected multiple tables and when i click on the view SQL tab it is displaying the query, so as in the view data tab it is displaying the data from the multiple connected tables. But when i am creating the report and dragging all the selected fields on the lay out view to generate report or try to generate the report the error occurring.

I attached the log file of my yellowfin for your reference.

Thank you for your support.

photo

Hi Austin,

From what I can see in the logs, the connection to the DB is being closed. Can you please check the timeouts to this database datasource as it may just be timing out and verify that this connection is stable.

How long is it taking to produce the error on the screen? Has it just started to happen? Has anything changed recently? What happens if you just drag in one or a couple of fields to a report?

As it looks like some sort of DB error, can you please attach the source logs, catalina and jdbc logs.

YF:2018-10-15 14:02:02:ERROR (StandardResultSetGenerator:J) - Error retrieving results: java.lang.Exception: Exception selecting data from database

java.lang.Exception: Exception selecting data from database

YF:2018-10-15 14:02:02:ERROR (StandardResultSetGenerator:J) - Error retrieving results: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: This connection has been closed.

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: This connection has been closed.

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

If i am dragging 1 data field from 1 table only the data is displaying. But if the data from multiple linked tables of same database error occurs. It is taking about 1 to 2 minuets max before the error displays. My yellowfin is connected to postgresql.

thanks,

Austin

Please see attached file for the source,jdbc, and catalina out logs.

photo

Hi Austin,

Thanks for the DB logs and I cannot see anything obvious in these 2, however there is no catalina logs attached. Can you please send these?

Are you able to increase the Timeout on the DB datasource?

Have you tried doing this? Here is a good guide on this.

Is this a new View you have created?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Good Day!

Please see attached catalina file for your reference.

Yes this is a new view that i created.

Thanks

Austin

photo

Hi Austin,

Okay so just confirming that the old View works fine and no issue with the reports, correct?

The new View you have created is causing issues, correct?

The only issues on the logs points to a possible timing out when trying to retrieve the data using the new view. Have you tried increasing the timeout yet to see if this alleviates the problem. It may also pay to look at the joins you are using on the new view to ensure they are done efficiently. The view should always be quicker as the data returned is minimal and the problem may not appear until you start generating reports.

So from here, can you please increase the timeout on the Datasource as mentioned. There are also many speed improvements in 7.4 since 7.1. Are you going to look at upgrading soon?

Thank you,

Paul

photo
photo

Hi Austin,

Just touching base to see if there is anything else you need from me or where you are currently at, as I have not heard back from in regards to this?

Thank you,

Paul

photo

Hi Austin,

This ticket has been open for some time now, so I am going to assume this is now okay and close this off. If you need to re-open this at any stage, please feel free to do so.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file