Direct Link To Report does not Honor Default Child Values

Larry Beasley shared this problem 5 years ago
Completed

I created a simple dashboard that is text based and direct links to reports. When doing so, the default report values are not honored. For example, I create a report that has a default dynamic date range of -90 days. When clicking into the report from the dashboard the -90 days is gone and the report runs based on '1900-01-01' or NULL. This behavior causes performance issues. Also, reports that have the autorun set to off are still ran on load. Autorun also occurs if the report is directly on the dashboard as well.

Best Answer
photo

Thanks for the extra info Larry, I can replicate your issue.

I guess conditional drill-through was done more for use-cases where the child report did not have any filters, so you were able to open the child report without passing any values.

This is a defect to be reviewed in the future.

The only workarounds I can offer at the moment is to use standard drill-through and have something from the parent pass-through, alternatively, if you make the filter on the child report 'mandatory', then the report will not run on launch and will force you to apply a filter, which might be a valid workaround. Thoughts?

Sorry for the inconvenience on this.

Thanks,

David

Replies (1)

photo

Hey Larry I've seen issues around filters not applying post maximising which sounds like the same thing here, or if not the same, very similar.Pretty sure these have since been sorted, though to be extra sure I would like to run some tests in the release you're using.

Which build are using? You can grab this from the info.jsp.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for the tip: Application Version:7.35

photo

Np. Need the actual build version also sorry.

E.g. Current Code Version:20180824

photo

Ah-ha! Current Code Version:20180409.

photo

Hi Larry I'm trying to get your issue, but I think I must be missing something. Everything seems to be working for me when loading the dashboard and having the default filter values being used on maximising the report. I think I might be going about this all wrong.

55c61d7cb9b5779148e24156a0265f77

Could I be a pain and get you to do a screen capture of what you're facing?

I use screen-o-matic as it's free and fairly easy to use.

If there is any sensitive info, just move this to a ticket :)

Thanks Larry

photo

Hi David,

In order to create a simpler dashboard, I created a report that has a view that returns text. Here is the underlying SQL for the view:

SELECT 'Statistics', 'Appointments Overview' UNION
SELECT 'Statistics', 'Appointments by Location' UNION
SELECT 'Statistics', 'Referral Report'

In the report, I created conditional direct links to the below reports.

/eeMEqCAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

The Referral Report is a good example. Here is the general filter formatting section. It should not run on load and it should not remember filter values:

The default value is set to Admissions:

/ASK4c3zisepCAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

When I click the direct link, it not only removes the default value:

/u3r1b4qSkl468keJEblNSBMKGQJYwadhA0vooAtmJgGdz0uyshL5bEQgzAsqkYW5drVsoEFAmDUUzaiXCjIAyaZhbV+sWCgSUSUPRjFqJMCOgTBrm1tW6hQIBZdJQNKNWIswIKJOGuXW1bqFA4H+IIj9Kj4xBfwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

The report also runs when it is loaded. In the case when my reports are prohibitive to run with no filters, I need either the default filters to be honored or auto-run on load to be honored.

photo

Thanks for the extra info Larry, I can replicate your issue.

I guess conditional drill-through was done more for use-cases where the child report did not have any filters, so you were able to open the child report without passing any values.

This is a defect to be reviewed in the future.

The only workarounds I can offer at the moment is to use standard drill-through and have something from the parent pass-through, alternatively, if you make the filter on the child report 'mandatory', then the report will not run on launch and will force you to apply a filter, which might be a valid workaround. Thoughts?

Sorry for the inconvenience on this.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

I came up with a workaround and possibly a good business reason to get rid of conditional direct link. I've switched these to conditional drill-through and choose 'Default Child Value' for all the fields and it runs with the report's default filter values. Doing so, produces the same effect as a conditional direct link. I'm going to instruct my report writers to use the latter. Thanks!

photo

In addition to this finding, I also found that I can create a calc field:

GETDATE()
Or

CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)
I can then use the calc field as a filter and set the default date range to whatever you need to pass. In my case I needed 4 filters, two with last 90 days (one is a timestamp the other is date), the current month, and this week.

/Ae2HSj0fl1NBAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

I use these filters for no other purpose than to pass them to the child reports! Incredible! Yellowfin has some tricks up it's sleeves!

photo

Hi Larry,

Replying for David as he's currently out of town. Thank you for sharing your work around with the Community! I'm glad you were able to find a path to your desired result. In the meantime, we'll keep this post updated with further information regarding this Defect.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file