Identify which table/join is causing the 'circular join' message

Dor David Makmal shared this idea 5 years ago
Completed

When working with large views (which most of ours are), when we run into a circular join issue, it's near impossible to figure out which join it's referring to.

Can you please have a way to visually identify the bad join? E.g. Maybe show the join line as red etc.. even doing it at the log file level is good enough, just need something to help!

Thanks

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Dor,

Thanks for the suggestions. This has been logged for further review.

In most cases of view edits, you're not modifying that many tables/joins, so shouldn't be too bad to figure out which tables you just added/modified.

To help us understand how this impacts you, can you please attach a screenshot of this issue in practice, and why it's not easily identifiable.

Thanks,David

photo

In my experience the most common issue is understanding the join-from/join-to logic baked into Yellowfin. Another experience I learned is that joining using multiple table conditions is simply not possible unless you construct a virtual table.

Here's an example that is completely logical yet not possible in view editor(without a virtual table):

Select *
From TableA
Left Join TableB on TableB.pk_id = TableA.fk_id
Left Join TableC on TableC.pk_id = TableB.fk_id and TableC.ex_date > TableA.ex_date
This is simply not possible without a virtual table. All joins using the standard GUI interface are predicated on one table to another without the ability to include a column from another table as a join condition. That would be a nice feature.

photo

Thanks Larry, yeah there a lots of features that would be awesome to cater for.

One step at a time ;)

photo

I'm sure I have a GIF for that comment and I'm sure it involves pizza with pineapple on top!

photo

FYI.. Pizza with pineapple is quite common over here in Australia. We're yet to get ranch dipping sauces with our pizza though ;).

photo
photo

I'm adding an additional message in the view builder which should also show the tables involved - "Two Tables with the same name/Alias" something like that, not sure about the exact text but I've encountered that yesterday and luckily I kept a file with all of the tables I've added. :)

Thanks

photo

Got it Dor thanks.

photo

Hi Dor,

Just letting you know this task is just about done so planned for the next 7.4 release due later in the year. I'll keep you posted on further updates.

Please let us know if there was anything else you were after in the meantime.

Regards,

David

photo
photo

Hi Guys ,

Just wanted to let you know that this task has now been completed and included in the latest 7.4.12 release.

Please let me know how it all goes post update, and of course reach out if you have any questions on this.

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file