Want to point view to new database

Chris shared this problem 5 years ago
Resolved

We have spent several months building reports and views BUT client has changed some databases. We would like to point the views and reports to a new data base to save us the time recreating the views and reports.

Is there a way to modify the database that the views and reports point to without having to recreate all of the views and reports.

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out. We have an option coming in 7.4.8 where there will be functionality in the right navigation panel of View Builder to point to a different data source.

Our approximate ETA for 7.4.8 as of right now is some time in December. I've added you to our client list of those being affected by this in our internal task and will provide an update for you here when we have an exact 7.4.8 publish date as well as when it's actually published.

Regards,

Mike

photo

You could reconfigure your database connection string and keep the same data source name.

photo

Hi Chris,

Indeed you can do as Alan's suggested here. I should have mentioned this is still possible in a more roundabout way and that a simpler UI option is forthcoming.

Our recommended method at this point in time is to:

Export the view, then import it over the top (to preserve linked objects) - at this point you can then change the data source.

Hopefully this info helps, but regardless I'll keep you posted on the UI solution that is being added in 7.4.8.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to let you know that this task has now been completed and included in the latest 7.4.8 release.

You can download latest builds here.

Would love to get confirmation your issue has been resolved with the latest release, so please let me know how it all goes post update, and of course reach out if you have any questions on this.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

I'm in this situation now - I have an existing View that is used by a report and I want to update the View to point to a different database. I'm editing the View but don't see an option to change the source database, just tables and columns. Can you advise on where I should look for this functionality?

photo

Nevermind, the problem was that I was editing with "Clone" instead of "Edit". This post set me straight: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/how-to-change-view-datasource#comment-158179

photo

Hi Sam,

Yep! That's the solution. This considered, I'll go ahead and mark this Completed, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach back out and I'll be happy to assist further.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file