View Permissions: How to control who can edit a view?

Gabriel Roncancio shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Looking at this View Documentation I found that the View Security Options does not control who can edit a view itself. I have checked the community, but I can't find a topic that covers this.

Would be grateful if you can explain me how to control who can edit a view in YF 7.2? and whether it has changed in later versions?, as currently our ISV product embed the 7.2 version, but we plan to embed 7.4 in the near future.

Thanks,

Gabriel

Replies (12)

photo

Hi Gabriel,

Yes you can control who has the ability to edit, create, delete a view based on the users role. You can find more information on this here. If you go down the page to the Data Sources and Views you will find a range of options available to change as per your needs. Once you decide on what you want this role to be able to do, then you would need to go into the Admin Console / Roles / Select or create a new role as required and adjust the following section. Please note that the users with this role would need to log out and back in for this to take affect.

b4896aa33703dd68440f0cc4489d95d6

Please let me know of this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

I'm aware of this role option, however assigning it allows a user to retrieve or update every single view in Yellowfin. In this way it means that they can read or edit all the views or no views at all. Is there something you can do to control per views permissions?

Good bye,

Gabriel

El 5/10/2018 3:48 a.m., "Support Queue" <support@yellowfin.bi> escribió:

photo

Hi Gabriel,

Unfortunately there is no option at this level. The only option is to restrict who can run a report etc from each view which is done inside the View / Security option as per below.

cc6cc62037f5a230e1b85a75bc9100fc

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

Is this something we can log as an idea for enhancement? Like more granular permissions for views, this is something desirable in companies with multiple business units, where it is possible to have database admins for each unit. Right now we work with a customer where we want to allow access for each admin to the views specific to his unit.

Good bye,

Gabriel

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 6:48 AM Support Queue <support@yellowfin.bi> wrote:

photo

Hi Gabriel,

Yes, I will raise this as idea for you. I will let you know the idea number once raised.

Cheers,

Paul

photo

Hi Gabriel,

I have now raised this as an idea and will forward this off to the Dev team. Please let me know if you need anything added to the idea and if the wording is correct.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/create-user-level-access-to-who-can-create-or-edit-views

Regards,

Paul

photo

Have checked, and it is right. Thanks!

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 1:51 AM Support Queue <support@yellowfin.bi> wrote:

photo

Hi Gabriel,

That is great, thanks for letting me know. As advised, I will let you know if any updates to this. Let me know if there is anything else you need or happy for me to close off this ticket.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

We have just updated the test site of a customer to 7.4, here I can see that Views now are managed similarly to reports, does this means that a view that is saved in a restricted folder would only be visible to users with permissions to read that folder?

Thanks,

Gabriel

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 8:48 AM Support Queue <support@yellowfin.bi> wrote:

photo

Hi Gabriel,

This is correct. There is a lot more information on folders and restriction which you can find here. As each new release is rolled out more fine grained access is quite often added. Is there an issue you are seeing?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Gabriel,

Just checking in to see if I can help further with this ticket?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Gabriel,

This ticket has been open for some time now, so I am going to assume this is now okay and close this off. If you need to re-open this at any stage, please feel free to do so.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file