Add more colours to heat grid chart

Ed Kilby shared this idea 5 years ago
Idea Logged

I have a Heat Grid chart and I would like it to offer more than just three colours.

My heat grid is based on consumption data so it would be great if it could go through a number of colours as the consumption gets higher. As the current three colours include the negative of the max, it currently only means that the middle and max colours are actually used in my data set (I have no negative numbers).

Would it be possible to either make the min colour based on the min value from the data set and not the negative of the max? or is it possible to use more colours in this chart?

regards

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Ed,

Thanks for reaching out. There are indeed only 3 color options in the Heat Grid chart type. I'm not sure if I entirely understand your question regarding making the min colour based on the min value from the data set, but I'm thinking you may be able to accomplish this by changing the Color > Style: Range, instead of Style: Auto

In terms visualizations for indicating a value is larger than another, this doesn't have to mean extra colors. What you could do instead is add the same metric to the Size box, so that higher values will not just be the Max (or closer to the Max) color value, but also be larger in size. Now my chart essentially gives two indications of how much more the Invoiced Amount was in December vs. July, for example:

/GZ3wftvrNwAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Failing that, another option here would be to submit this as an Idea instead, and I can create an enhancement request to add more colors. Regardless though, even if this enhancement would be chosen for future development, it'd be many months before actually being implemented, so I think my above suggestion may be worth considering anyways.

Please let me know how this solution works for you and how you'd like to proceed.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks for the reply Mike,

Unfortunately i can't use range as I don't know what the range would be when running the report, it could be 500,000->300,000,000 or 0->2 as I have about 5,000,000 different sets of this type of data that customers may want to visualise with no way of knowing what the data scale might be.

Regarding my explanation of the Min using "Auto". If i have data that goes from 0 -> 10 (0 is the min and 10 is the max) Then I select 3 colours red/green/blue as min to max respectively, I will only see green and blue in my heat grid chart. I can only assume that the middle colour is being set to 0 and the red is somehow a negative number for some reason.

Finally that size based heatmap will not work for this scenario for two reasons:

1) the fixed size heat map is a well know visualisation style in our industry so is useful

2) I have a minimum of 48 x 30 grid of data , going up to 48x 180, which means the boxes being of the same size is the only way for it to be drawn well. (too much white space with your example.

Please can you raise this as an enhancement.

Kind regards

photo

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your response and suggestion. I've gone ahead and changed this to an Idea item and have logged an internal enhancement request for this functionality. Any potential updates regarding this matter will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Ed,

I have an update. The dev team is in agreement this is a good idea and we will eventually be developing this enhancement but it's on the backlog so I wouldn't expect it's implementation for quite some time. I'll post all future updates regarding time frames here but I suspect an update on a loose time frame won't be for several months.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file