Addition of multiple (more than two) columns with advanced function

Ed Kilby shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

I have a report which is made up of the following columns:

Day consumption | Day Rate | Day Cost | Night Consumption | Night Rate | Night Cost | Total Cost

The day and Night Consumption Columns are Sum aggregations in the master query

The Day and Night Rate columns come from two independent sub queries

The day and Night cost columns are both advanced functions of their corresponding consumption * rate columns.

I need a total cost column which will be day and night cost added together, but I'm unable to do this as the sum function requires it to start with one of the values, which I can't do as they are both advanced functions in themselves.

I have managed to achieve this with making the report a view and then applying the advanced function on those fields, however this solution means that I have had to change my main report data set to enable my required filters to be offered in the child report (this is a separate issue).

I'd rather not have to make the report a view, because as soon as I do that the users are then able to see that view when building a report for themselves, which will just confuse them as our views are documented, and this one will not be (as it's bespoke).

It would seem logical to me that the basic sum and multiplication advanced functions offer more than one other column. Can I do this with my own advanced function?

I've seen this question a few times in the community, it looks like it could be a useful enhancement.

Regards

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Ed,

Thanks for getting in touch. As mentioned, this has been asked a few times and has also been raised to our DEV team as an idea/enhancement already. It would be a useful enhancement and I can advise of a y updates to this if the enhancement gets any traction and implemented in future releases of Yellowfin.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Thanks Paul, do you happen to know if this is possible with a custom advanced function off the top of your head?

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/USER74/Custom+Advanced+Functions

I'm assuming so, but just wanted to check

Cheers

photo

Hi Ed,

I still believe this is not possible as you need a column to start with (if that makes sense) which will use the data in that column as part of the calculation hence we have an enhancement in place to cater for this.

Cheers,

Paul

photo

Yeah, when I just need a column for the sake of a column I typically just create a calculated field with '0' in it, So i might be able to use my new advanced function based on this one (assuming an advanced function will work).

photo

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. If you manage to get this to work, it would be great to know so we can test it ourselves and advise other customers accordingly and provide a suitable work around.

Thank you,

Paul

photo
photo

Hi Ed,

Do you still need any further help with this ticket or are you happy for me to close this off as it requires further work as an enhancement with our dev team?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Nope, you can close

Thanks

photo

Thanks Ed. Closing for now, but keep in touch if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file