JavaScript API drill trough not passing parameters

Yordan Yunchov shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hello YellowFin Team,

We are using the JavaScript API to build a custom BI portal.

We currently faced the issue when using drill trough option - the parameters from the current report are not passed to the next report. Have you experienced that issue before and is there a fix for it ?

p.s. this behavior is only through the JavaScript API. From the Web Application UI it works fine.

We found a workaround - if there are specified multiple reports where you can drill trough, there is a popup asking you to select which one you want to open. Only in this case the parameters are transferred correctly.

BR,

Yordan

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Yordan,

yes I can remember a bug like this, although it was quite a few versions ago....which version and build are you using?

regards,

David

photo

Hi Yordan,

just in case you are not familiar with how to find out which version and build you are using, there are 3 ways to do this:

1) From System Information in the Administration screen

2) From the info.jsp which is run by using the following URL:

http://<yellowfin server>:<port>/info.jsp

3) From the Install or Patch log in the main Yellowfin folder.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Big Dave :)

that's what I could find:

Application Version: 7.35

buildVersion: 20170512

"apiVersion": 2.1

Servlet API Version: 3.1

JSP API Version: 2.3

BR,

Yordan

photo

Hi Yordan,

I couldn't find 7.35 20170512 in the official releases of 7.35, the closest I could find was 20170525 so I used that in my testing. However, it would be good to know how you got that build, please let me know and then I'll be able to find it and set it up over here. Because so far I wasn't able to replicate the issue in 20170525.

I have attached a short video of my failure in replicating the issue, if you could take a minute to look at it and then let me know whether my replication steps are the same as yours that would be great! And of course, if they're not then please let me know what are the correct ones.

thanks,

David

photo

Hello, Dave,

Thanks a lot for your support and the video !

maybe I forgot to mention that in it is about the charts (Pie Chart) the issue appears when you want to drill clicking on the pie chart. In this case if there is only one report available for drilling - no parameters are passed to the child report.

*as a workaround - if there are multiple reports that can be drill in, then there is a popup with link to choose which one to drill in. Only in this case the parameters are passed to the child report.

This build (I guess it is custom one) we have as part of the product IT Service Management delivered by the company BMC.

BR,

Yordan

photo

Hi Yordan,

ah, it was a BMC build! That was useful information - once I knew that I could then find the same build as you, 20170512.

And also it was useful information to learn that you were actually talking about Pie Charts!

So with this new knowledge I was able to use the same build as you, and create a drill through report with a pie chart, and then test it with the JS API. However, now the strange news...the Pie Chart drill through was working fine for me!

I have attached another video to show you my test. If you could take a minute to watch it and then let me know if they are the same steps as you are doing then that would be great!

Also, could you please show how your Chart's Drill Through Relationship setting is configured:

/A+RqEwg79QvkAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

and also how your Related Reports "Joins" is configured:

/AIAcAr4BQDgFPALAMAp4BcAgFPALwAAp4BfAABOAb8AAJwCfgEAOAX8AgBwCvgFAOAU8AsAwCngFwCAU8AvAACngF8AAE4BvwAAnAJ+AQA4xTb98v8BaOMS5KMeULIAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

What happen in your example if you click directly on the chart (and not touch the filters of the master report) ?

I see that you are mapping filter values to be passed to the child report.

We are mapping the field itself that is bind to the one of the series of the pie Chart.

If you try to change the mapping, you will be able to reproduce our problem.

And logically in your example, the user is seeing pie chart grouped by Region. So, intuitively he would click directly to Europe if he wants to drill down and see the details for Europe. He will not first filter and then drill.

BR,

Yordan

photo

Hi Yordan,

I changed the mapping in my report from the filter to the field itself, but unfortunately I am still not able to successfully replicate the issue you are experiencing. I have attached a video of my failure for you to see, in it you will see the new mapping being configured, and then you will see the Europe sector being clicked and then the child report gets the Europe parameter passed to it, and then just for good measure this is done a 2nd time albeit with Asia instead of Europe.

So this makes me think that there must be something more to your report than mine, can you please check if there are any other features that I've missed out on, or do you think that the report is as simple and basic as mine?

regards,

David

photo

Hi Yordan,

just wondering if you've had a chance yet to check if there were any other features that I missed out on in my replication attempt in the video, or did you think that your report is as simple and basic as mine?

regards,

David

photo

Hi Yordan,

just wondering how you got on with this matter and whether you'd like the ticket closed or not?

regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file