in memory

Sanjeev Pitwari shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

I would like to know how the in memory cubes are being used in Yellowfin

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Sanjeev,

Can you please provide a little more information and the type of cubes you are interested in such as

• You want to connect to a data cube such as Microsoft SSAS, SAP BW, Palo or Mondrian for reporting.
  • You want to cache data within Yellowfin to either a writable data source or to the in-memory source. (Technically we don’t have multi-dimensional cubes as a storage method within Yellowfin).

If you could further define which of these you are focusing on, that would be great.

Thank you,

Paul

photo

Hi Team, Thanks for the response.

I don’t want to connect to any cubes, I would like to have the data to be stored on the memory

Please confirm whether it is supported in Yellowfin

Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 3:39 PM

To: Patwari, Sanjeev (Cognizant) <Sanjeev.Patwari@cognizant.com>

Subject: New Comment in "in memory"

photo

Hi Sanjeeev,

Yellowfin supports caching at a lot of levels, such as the Datasource, Reports, Dashboards, Filters, Event and Report Views. Some of these are handled in memory via the JVM, therefore stored in memory.

In the web.xml document, the following sets of parameters can be added to enable more caching of the metadata of the reports and dashboards.

This means that Yellowfin may need to make less queries to the configuration database to load the content, and could instead use cached information.

The values included below are the defaults so would increase these. The size is the number of items retained, and the Timeout is the time (in ms) that the items are kept in cache.

Report Definition Cache

<init-param>

<param-name>ReportDefinitionCacheSize</param-name>

<param-value>1000</param-value>

</init-param>

<init-param>

<param-name>ReportDefinitionCacheTimeout</param-name>

<param-value>86400000</param-value>

</init-param>

Dashboard Definition Cache

<init-param>

<param-name>DashboardDefinitionCacheSize</param-name>

<param-value>1000</param-value>

</init-param>

<init-param>

<param-name>DashboardDefinitionCacheTimeout</param-name>

</init-param>

Yellowfin can also cache events that are occurring a lot such as navigating to certain pages or creating reports.

This can help to smooth out the general movement around the application, so the parameters below would be added into the document.

Event Cache

<init-param>

<param-name>EventCacheSize</param-name>

<param-value>100000</param-value>

</init-param>

Lastly, data can be cached at the view level based on the SQL queries that are run in a report.

For example, if a report is run a number of times from the same view with the same underlying query, then a cached version could be served to the user after the initial first run.

The below parameters would be added into the web.xml document, but a default cache period would also need to be enabled at the view level.

Report View Data Cache

<init-param>

<param-name>ReportCacheSize</param-name>

<param-value>20</param-value>

</init-param>

<init-param>

<param-name>ReportCacheMaxAge</param-name>

</init-param>

I hope this provides a little more clarity around the question and you can find more information on caching etc on our wiki site.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Sanjeev,

Just touching base on this ticket to see if you need any further help with the question or if you are happy for me to close this off for now.

Thanks,

Paul

photo

Hi Sanjeev,

Just touching base to see how you are going and if you need any further help with this?

Thank you,

Paul

photo

Hi Sanjeev,

I have not heard back from you for some time, so I am going to close off this ticket, however if you need further help, please get back in touch.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Sanjeev,

I have not heard back from you in regards to this question, so I will assume that everything has been answered. I will close this off for now, however please get in touch if you need anything else.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file