Dynamic Text Chart

Ajinkya shared this idea 5 years ago
Completed

I would like to be able to create a dynamic text chart, similar to the "Numeric Display" chart. Something similar to Parameter Replacement, but perhaps with more customization abilities, akin to the Numeric Display chart.

Replies (9)

photo

Hi Ajinkya,

I responded in your personal ticket as well, but I actually just found a potential workaround that may work for you. There is a community item: Is there anyway to create dynamic text labels in charts/reports? It seems that there is a way to dynamically display the report name, report description, and the first filter, using Parameter Replacements. You can view the Wiki entry for Parameter Replacements here. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

photo

Hi Ajinkya,

Disregard. Parameter Replacement's as they currently exist won't help you get string results from a dimension to appear in a customizable way without adding additional functionality. It still seems something similar to the Numeric Display Chart, except with Text would be the ultimate goal here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

This is very much a requirement we would like to see - we actually have requirements from Customers who need this sort of thing

The ability to have a Text Display for a Dimension would be a great innovation

As to the work around

Use a Heat Map (set the Colour to a Calc Field always = 0 and set the Colour Range to Custom of White and White) - I have done this - reply if you need further assistance

photo

Hi Ajinkya,

This may be a workable solution in the mean time. Please give this a go and let me know what you think. Thank you Mark for offering this solution!

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hello Mike

I would like to know if there is any solution to add dynamic text in the report.

I tried Heat map as well but it is for metrics only, my requirement is for Dimension type of objects.

Thanks

Ajinkya

photo

Hi - it works for Dimension Text

I cant remember off the top of my head how I did it - but we had an explicit requirement to show dynamic Text from a Dimension field - this was how I did it

I will try and find it and post some screen shots

photo
photo

Hi Ajinkya,

This is still not a possibility, however, I do have an update regarding this. This idea's been moved to our Backlog in our internal task. As of right now, a majority of dev focus is on version 8.0 and only critical bugs are being addressed. If this is to be implemented it would be at least a few months out.

Some further info is that the dev teams solution for this idea is that "this would be better suited to a text widget on the canvas which can pull in a piece of dimension data, rather than a chart."

That's about all for feedback on this. Sorry there's not a more immediate solution here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

For us - that would be perfect!

photo

Hi Mark,

Great! I've made note of this in our internal task to aid in future consideration for developing this.

Regards,

Mike

photo
photo

Hi all,

Since this idea was submitted our Text Widget Parameters functionality has become more robust (as of 9.2). You can now pretty easily display single text (dimension) items from a report - this can be done using the tablevalue parameter in a text widget. Here is an article you can reference to accomplish this: "TableValue" Text widget parameter.

Please let us know how you get on with this and confirm whether this works for your respective use cases, and if not, how it does not meet the requirement.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Ajinkya and all else interested,

I just wanted to check in and see if anyone had feedback on the information posted in my latest response.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi all,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Completed since I haven't heard back, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file