Advanced E-Mail Template

Daniel Boekhoff shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

The current E-Mail template configuration is good, but not enough for most of our customers. We would like to have a really simple template we could write in HTML on our own, then add placeholders like __name__ or __report_html_content__ etc. to let Yellowfin fill it with all the dynamic parts.

The advantage is we could reduce all the Titles, Subtitles in the email to a minimum. We could add different links to help content, to Yellowfin, etc. We would have more power to create a more Device flexible good looking email.

I talked with Peter and Brett about this today and Peter suggested to make this functionality accessible by using a flag in the configuration database, so there would be no user interface to configure this. This can all be pure code based.

In a perfect scenario we would be able to create different templates for report broadcasts, Dashboard Sharing, etc. — but in a first step one Global template would be enough.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards,

Daniel

Replies (23)

photo

The current E-Mail template configuration is good, but not enough for most of our customers. We would like to have a really simple template we could write in HTML on our own, then add placeholders like __name__ or __report_html_content__ etc. to let Yellowfin fill it with all the dynamic parts.

The advantage is we could reduce all the Titles, Subtitles in the email to a minimum. We could add different links to help content, to Yellowfin, etc. We would have more power to create a more Device flexible good looking email.

I talked with Peter and Brett about this today and Peter suggested to make this functionality accessible by using a flag in the configuration database, so there would be no user interface to configure this. This can all be pure code based.

In a perfect scenario we would be able to create different templates for report broadcasts, Dashboard Sharing, etc. — but in a first step one Global template would be enough.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards,

Daniel

photo

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback and detailed info as to what you're after.

I know the email template is quite simple at this point in time, and was done so that people were limited in what they could break, though we can see the benefit in allowing more control.

This has been logged as an official enhancement and will need to be reviewed by the product team, any updates will be posted here.

I understand this is quite important and will aim to get you some information over the next 2 weeks.

One thing to note though, is that enhancements are included in the latest release only, so if it was to be implemented today, it would be the latest 7.3 only.

We will keep you posted on news.

Thanks

David

photo

Hi David,

What is the latest update on this? Is it really difficult to provide an option to customize the email template?

Please check these tickets as well:

https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/YFForum-Is-there-a-way-to-send-a-formatted-message-in-a-broadcast-thread-141467

https://www.yellowfinbi.com/resources/forum/yfforum-change-email-template-thread-164568

photo

Hi Pushpal,

I hope all is well,

From what I can see we have no further movement on having a more "advanced/custom" email template. As it stands we only have the options available with what you are aware of...

I have added your comments to the Enhancement Request, although I can't confirm anything else with regards to when this will be looked at.

Let me know your views on this.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

Is there any progress on this request?

Regards,

Bharath

photo

Hi Bharath,

I hope all is well,

Unfortunately no movement as of yet, however I have chased this up with our development team.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

Is there any progress on this?

Thanks

Kalaiselvan

photo

Hi Kalaiselvan,

I hope all is well,

Unfortunately not, this has been raised by a number of different clients now, so the push to get this looked at would be the way forward for us now. I have made some notes in the ticket that we have with our development team, so hopefully going forward we can finally get this addressed.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

Hope you are well.

Is there any movement on this?

Kind regards,

Mikayla

photo

Hi Mikayla,

I hope all is well,

No movement on this as of yet, although I have questioned this with our development team. I am hoping to have some feedback within the next 24 hours, so I will keep you updated.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mikayla,

I hope all is well,

Just to update you, this has since been discussed with the wider team and we are currently looking into what options we have. I will continue to update you where I can, however please feel free to question updates on this anytime.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

Hope you are well.

Thanks for the feedback, look forward to hearing what the outcome of this is.

Kind regards,

Mikayla

photo

Hi Mark,

any news on this topic?

We would like to get rid of this part of the E-Mail footer:

031d1330a157fea2934e18ddc8f85b92

Everything else we adjusted to our liking, this is the missing piece.

Best regards,

Ingo

photo

Hi Ingo,

I hope all is well,

No solid updates on this as of yet, although I have seen movement with this over the recent months, which is good news as it looks like it is moving in the right direction with getting something implemented.

What next?

I have made the wider team aware of your interest of which I am hoping this will help push progress.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

Do you have any updates?

Thanks,

Ingo

photo

Hi Ingo,

I hope all is well,

No solid movement, although I do see some activity with the product/development team of whom have discussed this going forward. I can't give an exact update, but movement is good.

What next?

As this is 6 years old, i'd love for this to get more attention, with this would you be happy for me to raise this with your CSM (I beleive this is Lesley) today in my meeting that I have with them? I can also inform my Manager Sainath to help with that push.

Please let me know, happy to help where I can Ingo.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Ingo,

I hope all is well,

Just to let you know, I discussed this today with Lesley on our weekly meeting. I have also made our wider team aware of this via our JIRA ticket along with my Manager Sainath.

As it stands, I can see plans have been put in place, of which I am hoping for some movement with this in the coming days.

Going forward, please feel free to chase this up any time, I would be more than happy to assist where I can.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

sounds great! Thanks!

Best regards,

Ingo

photo

Hi Mark,

I hoped that this item in the 9.11. release would help us, but we can't even see where it is implemented: 91012bf91a50070ccc90dba29d30f517

Could you please check, how we can identify what has changed in the e-mail templates and if there is further work being done?

Thank you

Ingo

photo

Hi Ingo,

I hope all is well,

I have looked at this further and I can see it was the removal of the copyright information which you can see in the below image

aed9f0557d14db56430631218f172e3d

Compare this to 9.11;

c8254222522761993936ffd1a00f16be

Although from what I can see we could remove anyway... I think this was more with removing the copyright showing Yellowfin and the date of 2016 as it was outdated.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Ah OK...so the line above is still not editable.

photo

Hi Ingo,

Unfortunately not. Like I said, this implementation in 9.11 was more to deal with removing the line of wording that shows the copyright/date so that future updates/releases does not contain this.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Ingo,

Going forward are you happy for me to mark this ticket back to Idea Logged? As a side note, and as I mentioned in one of my earlier responses, I have made Lesley aware of the chase-up :-)

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file