Broadcast Report to email address that are in report?

Chakra shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi,

Hope things are going alright!

I wanted to check if someone can provide a step by step process to Broadcast a report to email recipients that are mentioned in the same report? This report ('AAA') already has an email field with email addresses of users and filed format has been converted to email.

In Broadcast ,I see there is an advance option in recipient section and I did selected AAA report under it and scheduled it. However, although schedule instance shows successful (Admin console) , I've not received an email.

Appreciate if someone can please further assist.

FYI...

I found below link but was not clear on the steps to implement.

http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER71/Email+Broadcast

Thank you,

CT

I found below link but was not clear on the steps to implement.

http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER71/Email+Broadcast

Best Answer
photo

Hi Chakra,

thanks for the documentation.

1) This is just the specification for Broadcast Recipients - Advanced at the moment, it will send an email for each row in the report. So if you'd like this functionality to be changed then please feel free to raise an Idea here in the Yellowfin Community.

2) Again, this is the current specification, Yellowfin searches the report for the 1st column that is formatted as Email and uses that as the only recipient. So to get around this restriction you will have to make a copy of the report and then remove the Change Manager column.

3) Yellowfin sends the same report to each recipient unless you are using the "Assign Filters" which will filter the report for each recipient:

/B2mCoW2NShEDAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

regards,

David

Replies (11)

photo

Hi,

I finally found a YellowFin document about 'adding report for recipients' and seem like key is to change the format of 'email address' report field to email (initially it was text). I've successfully tested and it worked ok. Few things that I've noticed here and I'm looking to see if I can get around it somehow

1. For instance, if a change approver has two changes to approve, report shows two records for that change approver. YF tend to send two separate emails to change approver with two records of changes in both emails. It would be nice if there is a way to send only one email to change approver with two records of changes.

2. Reports also includes change coordinator email field which is right next to change approver email field. YF tend to only pick email address whichever is listed first in the report record and send the report to that email. I'm expecting YF to send an email to both change approver as well as change coordinator in one single email.

Please let me know if you have questions or need clarification. Thank you for all your help in advance.

Regards,

CT.

photo

Anything for me on this please?

photo

Hi Chakra,

sorry for the delay, I am looking into this now. Regarding issue no.1, I'm not sure if I understood it correctly. I have attached a short video of my replication steps, in it you will see that I made 2 changes in a report, then Yellowfin sent 2 emails to the approver, however in each email there is only 1 mention of the changes in the report to be approved.

If you could please take a minute to view these steps and then let me know if they are incorrect then that would be great!

thanks,

David

photo

Hi Big Dave,

Thank you for your response. Let me document above two points with screenshot and details for better understanding.

Keep you posted.

Regards,

CT

photo

OK Chakra...sounds like I got it wrong :-(

photo

Hello Big Dave,

Not a problem, I figured I didn't provide much information here, so I've documented with screenshot and details. I hope to be clear now.

Please review attached document and let me know if you have any further questions. I've pointed three questions with regards to Broadcast feature.

Thank you,

CT

photo

Hi Chakra,

thanks for the documentation.

1) This is just the specification for Broadcast Recipients - Advanced at the moment, it will send an email for each row in the report. So if you'd like this functionality to be changed then please feel free to raise an Idea here in the Yellowfin Community.

2) Again, this is the current specification, Yellowfin searches the report for the 1st column that is formatted as Email and uses that as the only recipient. So to get around this restriction you will have to make a copy of the report and then remove the Change Manager column.

3) Yellowfin sends the same report to each recipient unless you are using the "Assign Filters" which will filter the report for each recipient:

/B2mCoW2NShEDAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Appreciate your response for each point.

I'm clear on first two points. Thanks for confirming the workflow.

On the third point, I was unable to find 'Assign Filters' option under Broadcast options. Is there something that I need to turn on in order for me to see it ? FYI..I'm an admin user and have full rights to application.

Please find the attached screenshot for your reference. Let me know if you have any questions for me.

Thank you,

CT

photo

Hi Chakra,

the report that you are wanting to broadcast must have a filter so that then Yellowfin can map a column from the report with the emails onto to the report to be broadcasted.

I hope that makes sense, please let me know if this is working for you.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Big Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I've applied email field as prompted filters (with 'Allow Omit') in my report and applied email field as filter in my broadcast and it seem to be working as expected.

Also, I was able to partially get around first point as well. Basically I've applied ChangeID as report filter and used it in Broadcast filter. Change manger will now receive an email for each change that are listed in the report. One email per change.

Point 1: For your reference again...

From above screenshot, change manager has three changes to approve, report shows three records for that change manager. YF tend to send three separate emails to change manager with three records of changes in each email. It would be nice if there is a way to send only one email to change manager with all three records of changes in it.

Thank you again for your assistance, really appreciate your time.

Regards,

CT

photo

Hi Chakra,

that sounds great, you've put the Advanced Recipient Filter to very good use.

Well done!

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file