Updating view metadata in 7.4

Brendan Codrington shared this problem 5 years ago
Completed

Hi, is there an easy way to update view metadata in 7.4 without having to edit/clone the view itself? This was a quick task in 7.2 however I can't see the option to do so now without fully editing the view.

Asking as I have a view that is corrupt and can't be cloned/imported/overwritten. I've hence rebuilt it and need to rename the corrupt version so it is no longer created from (but remains active for reports built on it), but can't seem to rename it as I can't edit it. A quandary, to be sure, lest I have missed something... or do we need to overwrite directly in the database?

Thanks,

Brendan

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Brendan,

looks like you've found a bug! I checked the 7.4 wiki and it definitely documents a link called "Edit Metadata" existing in the View Summary. And you're right, I remember it back in 7.2. So I have raised product defect YFN-11453 so that it gets fixed.

In the meanwhile, you can change the corrupt view's name with the following query:

UPDATE ReportView 
SET ViewDescription = '<insert new name here>' 
WHERE ViewId = <insert ViewId here>

and then restart Yellowfin. By the way, you don't have to restart Yellowfin for the change to take effect if you use the JSP called "info_cached_enhanced" and click the Clear button under the View Cache table as mentioned in the following Knowledge Base article:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-avoid-having-to-restart-yellowfin-after-backend-modifications-to-the-yellowfin-database

or you could also use the REMOVEVIEW web service as also mentioned in said article.

Hope that helps, if there are any further questions please let me know.

regards,

David

photo

Thanks Dave, glad it wasn't me missing something! We'll use the above query to make the change and hope the bug is fixed soon.

Regards,

Brendan

photo

yes indeed! Please let me know if there are any issues with that workaround.

One other thing, you raised this issue in a Question, and Questions don't have a status of "Defect Logged", they just have "Answered", "In Progress" and "Awaiting Reply", so I'm wondering whether you'll permit me to convert this into a Problem or a private Ticket (both of which allow the "Defect Logged" status)? Please let me know.

thanks,

David

photo

Hey Dave, absolutely please convert as required (Problem is fine) so it can have the Defect Logged status.

Thanks,

Brendan

photo

thanks Brendan!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file