Highlight a date range in time series chart

Yoav Chen shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Hi,

Is there a way to highlight a date range in a time series chart?

I have a date range that expands to the past and future and i want to mark the past days (less than today).

I can do conditional formatting on the table but it doesn't help the chart because the chart is showing a metric and not date.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Yoav,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can you show me a screenshot of where you are at and what you are trying to do?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Attached image 1 is showing a time series with dates before today and also future days.

I would like some indication of "Today", so it would be easy to distinguish between past and future (image 2).

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

Hi Yoav,

Unfortunately this is not currently possible with conditional formatting, but going along with your screenshot, If you know the maximum range of your Y axis, you can:

1. Create a pre-defined "Days Between" calculated field that returns the days between now, and your date field.
  2. Create a calculated field with the statement:

1. CASE WHEN "days between" = 0 THEN (your max y value) END

So there will be one data point for today, and null for the rest of the series.

You can then place this field as a metric onto your bar chart, which will result in something like this:

550aecf7bbb44dd4fed509f5bb10d9d1

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Yoav,

Any luck in resolving this?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Yoav,

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file