Filter-Driven Highlighting

Stephen Johnson shared this idea 5 years ago
Not Planned

When I set up a filter driving several reports on a dashboard I wish I could specify on a report by report basis whether that filter should drive actual filtering or whether it drives highlighting.

For example, imagine a numeric display report that shows a single aggregated metric and a bar chart that shows the same metric broken out for each employee in the company. If I use a filter to select four employees I'm interested in, I want the numeric display to recalculate for that employee but I don't want the bar chart to filter to just four bars. Instead I want to contextualize those four employees relative to the others. To achieve that, I would love to configure the filter to drive "highlighting" on the bar chart instead of standard filtering. When I filter to four employees, those four bars on the chart would highlight but the others would remain visible. Alternatively, the non-selected employees could become semi-transparent. This way I can see the data I'm interested in in-context.

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Stephen,

sounds like a good idea to me, so I have raised an internal enhancement request for it (YFN-10859).

Just one clarification: do you imagine this would be just for charts, or would you also like it to apply to tabular reports that don't have charts?

regards,

David

photo

Hi Stephen,

just keeping you updated on this one, the product team like your idea and say that it will be possible to do this with the forthcoming dashboard rewrite in which users will be able to write their own custom filters and custom charts, i.e. it won't be able to be achieved natively - you will have to write your own code or get someone to write it for you.

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file